Under routine supervision, gathers data and collects samples for use in assessing environmental issues or impacts to assist in supporting JEAs efforts to excel in environmental stewardship. Job requires basic knowledge of federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations, and methods, techniques and standard operating procedures for gathering data and test samples, sufficient to perform a limited range of routine, technical tasks. Specific, detailed instructions are provided, requiring some judgment in rearranging work sequences in specific cases. Identifies and suggests solutions to routine or recurring problems or selects solutions from defined alternatives. Work is reviewed in progress and upon completion for accuracy and completeness in following instructions and established procedures. Routine interaction with others within the same work group is required to obtain, clarify or provide facts or information.
- Assists in environmental reviews and audits to ensure compliance with federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations.
- Collects field samples of potable water, wastewater, ambient waters (river), soils and other physical and chemical data to comply with permits or regulatory requirements.
- Prepares environmental report forms and maintains related records.
- Evaluates routine activities at various organizational facilities to identify potential environmental impact and to ensure practices are in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Operates and adjusts field sampling and laboratory testing equipment.
- Responds to water or wastewater line breaks and other environmental spill/call-out incidents in accordance with established JEA procedures.
- May be required to operate a marine vessel/boat for specific assignments.
- Performs other job-related work as assigned.