Research Scientist, Microbiology and Immunology
Position Title Research Scientist, Microbiology and Immunology
The Department of Microbiology & Immunology at the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences of SUNY , located at the Downtown Campus, has an open senior scientist position available to study how the metabolism of the protozoan parasite Toxoplasma gondii impacts its growth and virulence. Projects include defining how the parasite senses oxygen, how parasite oxygen sensing impacts virulence, and what parasite proteins and processes are impacted by parasite oxygen sensing. Job duties will include:
Outstanding Benefits Package
- Solve research problems
- Assist in designing research methodologies, perform research, and summarize and share research results with the PI
- Prepare proposals/applications for extramural and/or intramural funding
- Present research results to faculty, students and/or other scientific staff
- Prepare research results for publication in scholarly journals
- Attend seminars and meetings
- Assist in teaching and training of graduate, undergraduate, and other scientific staff
- Manage laboratory staff
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit - all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages .About UB
The University at Buffalo is SUNY's most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo .
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and veteran or disability status.
- Masters in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or related field.
- PhD in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or related field
- Familiar with murine models of Toxoplasma infections
- Experience with culturing and genetically modifying Toxoplasma
- Familiar with flow cytometry and histological analysis of murine tissues
Salary Range $50,000 - $60,000
37.5 Hours per week
Work hours may vary
Campus Downtown Campus
Special Instructions Summary
Contact's Name Ira Blader
Contact's Phone 716-829-5809
Date to be filled 09/01/2022
Number of references required 3
Reference Cutoff Date
Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate your current employment affiliation with the University at Buffalo.
- Faculty Student Association (FSA)
- Research Foundation Employee
- State Classified
- State Professional
- UB Foundation
- No Current Employment Affiliation
- * How did you first hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Personal Referral
UB is an AA/EOE and welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Arrangements will be made if an applicant has a disability in order to provide access to the application, interview and selection process upon request. Reasonable accommodation requests must be made in a timely manner by email at email@example.com or by phone (716) 645-2266.