Senior Associate Scientist, Discovery BiologyReports to Head of Discovery Biology
BAKX Therapeutics is developing safer and more effective drugs in the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway. We bring together biologists and clinicians with deep knowledge of apoptosis along with computational scientists, medicinal chemists & experienced drug developers for a uniquely integrated approach to discovering and developing drugs.
BAKX Therapeutics is seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated Senior Research Associate/Associate Scientist to join our growing Discovery Biology team. The successful candidate will be a key member of cross-functional project teams responsible for developing cell-based assays to support target biology exploration, SAR activities, MOA studies, identification and development of biomarkers, and patient selection strategies for small molecule oncology programs in the portfolio. This role will work collaboratively with members across different functional areas (Discovery Biology, Translational Biology, Protein Sciences, Chemistry and CADD) to design, develop, and implement an integrated platform of experimentation and cutting-edge computational tools to address the unique biology of our target proteins with the shared goal of bringing medicines to patients. This is a tremendous growth opportunity for an enthusiastic scientist to be responsible for providing biology support to one or more projects while growing their understanding of drug discovery and helping drive our programs toward the clinic.Responsibilities
· Maintenance and treatment of cancer and/or primary cell line models
· Generate engineered cell lines for screening and mechanism of action assays
· Develop, optimize, and conduct cell-based assays (target engagement, cell viability/cell death, reporter-based) to screen small molecule compounds to enable medicinal chemistry efforts and structure-activity relationship assessment.
· Develop and perform cellular and molecular biology experiments to evaluate the mechanism of action of potential anti-cancer therapeutics and contribute to the identification of pharmacodynamic markers
· Collaborate with CROs for any outsourcing needs and integrate data analysis.
· Transition new technologies from proof-of-concept to standardized workflows
· Interpret, summarize and report your research findings to the project team.
· Maintain clear records of experimental methodology, data, and conclusions
· Interface closely with scientists in the project teams to ensure assays and screening efforts are aligned to the scientific project goals
· Present data and report on project progress at individual, biology group and department meetingsRequirements and Qualifications
· BS/MS degree in Biology or a related field; BS with 3+ years or MS with 2+ years of biopharma industry or academic experience working in a cancer biology team.
· Experience in mammalian cell culture (suspension and adherent cell lines) with outstanding aseptic technique, cell-based assays to evaluate viability/cell death (small molecule compound screening), protein level analysis (western blotting, MSD, ELISA, immunofluorescence imaging, flow cytometry), gene expression analysis (qRT-PCR), cell-based target engagement assays (CETSA, HTRF, Alphalisa, NanoBRET) and other functional/molecular biology assays.
· Experience with developing genetically engineered cell lines using genetic approaches such as CRISPR knockout/in, RNAi, and protein overexpression.
· Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, proactively searching the literature to find new solutions/troubleshoot, implement Molecular Biology techniques and design experiments independently.
· Demonstrated ability to analyze and provide interpretation of experimental data to the line manager and project teams and participate in productive discussions with peers.
· Strong attention to detail and proven track record in handling, analyzing and meticulously recording experimental data, and presenting results to project teams.
· Strong interpersonal skills and can effectively communicate and collaborate with scientists across disciplines
· Experience in working with CRO is highly desirable
· Proven ability to effectively work in team environment across multiple projects
· Demonstrated adaptability and desire to learn new skills and core competencies
· Deep sense of scientific excellence and integrity
· Team player first, but also someone who can easily flex to work independently to conduct research
· Comfortable with the dynamic environment in a biotechBAKX Offers:
- Opportunity to work on cutting edge science and develop meaningful therapeutics
- A fast, dynamic, and entrepreneurial work environment
- An inclusive, supportive, and collaborative team culture
- Competitive salary + equity in line with role, experience, and contribution
- 11 company holidays + Unlimited vacation policy
- Full array of benefits including 401(k) with a company match
"BAKX is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including recruiting, hiring, promotion, termination, compensation, and training, etc. will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical??? condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or ?expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law."