15351BRLine Of Business:
Health, Safety and EnvironmentPrimary Location:
Salaried ExemptJob Posting:
Lehigh Hanson is North America's leading supplier of cement, aggregates, ready mix concrete, and asphalt. We have hundreds of plants and thousands of employees working across the United States and Canada. We are also part of Heidelberg Cement Group, one of the world's largest building materials companies.
The Environmental Manager is based in Cupertino, CA and reports directly to the Director of Environmental and Land Resources. The position is responsible for ensuring compliance with all environmental and land use laws, regulations and permitting requirements, identifying environmental requirements, and developing strategies to meet these requirements by using available human, technical, and physical resources in area of responsibility for the Cupertino Facility
What you'll get to do
- Regularly evaluate Lehigh Hanson environmental compliance at the facility, effectively communicate issues of non-compliance to management and operations, and develop action plans to achieve full compliance at.
- Review current and proposed permits, laws, and regulations to analyze their impacts on the Cupertino facility, effectively communicate those impacts to management, and develop compliance plans/programs and training to ensure assigned facilities operate in compliance.
- Lead Lehigh Hanson Cupertino to maintain environmental and land management compliance. This includes compliance with the local permit requirements (sampling, inspections, reporting, renewals, etc.) as well as regulatory agency requirements (BAAQMD, SFRWQCB, SCC- CUPA DTSC, CARB, etc.).
- Provide oversight for ongoing programs and supports environmental program development and implementation in areas including, but not limited to, spill prevention and control, EPCRA, air emissions and permitting, hazards material storage and hazardous material shipping.
- Prepare and submit documents such as environmental and land use permit applications, plans, and reports by the required due dates enabling the continued operation of Cupertino operations.
- Manage long-term permitting projects to ensure milestones are achieved on schedule.
- Assist in managing environmental vendors performing work for Lehigh Hanson.
- Assist in planning for changes in physical facilities to meet environmental requirements and permitting such changes.
- Assist in implementation of policies and procedures to ensure practices are in compliance with the applicable environmental and land use permits, laws, and regulations.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) for environmental practices
- Support and monitor the implementation of Sustainability programs at the facility.
- Review environmental performance metrics, analyzes trends, and recommends remedial action, where necessary.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of Federal, state, and local environmental and land use ordinances, laws, and regulations.
- Work effectively with landowners and tenants to maintain strong relationships and ensure good stewardship practices.
- Investigate and resolve compliance problems, questions, or complaints received from within the company, customers, government regulatory agencies and/or the public, and act as company advocate for environmental issues.
- Populate, update, and maintain environmental task management and task reporting systems.
- Conduct on-site compliance audits to proactively identify gaps and ensure continuous improvement.
- Manage the development and upkeep of environmental training programs for staff in the company (management and plant staff) on relevant environmental issues and regulations, including required environmental topics.
Who we are looking for
- Bachelor's degree in a related environmental, scientific, or engineering discipline. Master's degree preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years environmental compliance experience in the cement, aggregate, mining, or similar industry.
- Ability to independently audit and inspect industrial operations, identifying compliant or non-compliant environmental issues, and effectively communicate those findings to Lehigh Hanson management.
- Ability to work with a team to develop and implement effective environmental compliance strategies and management systems including management plans.
- Ability to effectively communicate required compliance activities to Lehigh Hanson employees who are tasked with performing them.
- Working knowledge of all environmental laws and regulations affecting Lehigh Hanson operations in Cupertino including, aggregate production, cement distribution and related operations.
- Experience and demonstrated ability managing a multi-media environmental program, including air and water quality, hazardous waste and materials, biological species issues, mining reclamation, soil and water remediation, and others.
- Ability to prepare environmental permit applications and reports for submittal to external parties including regulatory agencies.
- Ability to communicate with internal and external parties in a collaborative, positive manner, representing Lehigh Hanson's environmental interests.
- Competence with computing software.
What we have to offer
- Competitive base salary and participation in our annual incentive plan
- Highly competitive benefits programs
- 401k retirement savings plan with an automatic company contribution as well as matching contributions
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Female / Veteran / Disabled