Established in 1992 with the goal of marrying culinary excellence, food science, and cutting-edge technology, we are recognized by the nation's largest multi-unit restaurant operators as a trend-forward, innovative custom food product manufacturer and development company.
Located in Ontario, California, approximately 40 miles east of Los Angeles and centrally located near California's and Mexico's growing regions, we have year-round access to freshly harvested vegetables.
What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? Join a company proud of its products and passionate about the industry and its continuing growth! Are you interested in building relationships? Do you enjoy inspecting and identifying microorganisms? Do you have excellent communication skills? Execute problem-solving with members of the Quality and Production Teams? If so, Haliburton International Foods, Inc. is seeking attention to a detailed Microbiology Technician to join our team for our Ontario location.
The Microbiologist Technician assists with microbiology lab testing and procedures. Responsible for collection and testing of raw material finished product, and environmental samples, prepares media and samples, interpreting results and updating logs and certificates of analysis, and provides support to all microbiology lab functions as assigned by the Director of Laboratory Services.
Work Hours: 10:00 am to 6:30 pm. Must be flexible hours with Saturday work.Essential Duties & Job Responsibilities
Education & Experience
- Record and maintain daily temperature logs of lab equipment, freezer, and coolers.
- Prepare laboratory sterilizes media in a timely manner and assures that supply is maintained for lab needs.
- Perform lab housekeeping and maintain a clean work environment.
- Collects prepare, and analyzes raw material, work-in-progress, and finished product samples for indicator microorganisms, pathogens, allergens, and histamine using approved-AOAC or BAM methods.
- Collect and analyze environmental swabs.
- Collect and test the water and air samples.
- Perform data entries of results in the computer database system
- Autoclave and dispose of lab waste
- Calibrate thermometers, pipettes, and scales
- Monitor lab supplies and ensure no expired chemicals and reagents are used and notify for lab needs
- Perform analytical tests as needed (pH, Aw, acidity, salt, BRIX, viscosity, etc.
- Immediately notify Food Safety/QA Manager when a product is out of specification or when a potential problem exists.
- Assist in the development of micro-lab SOPs.
- Adhere and enforce company GLPs and GMPs.
- Report to work as scheduled; be on time from lunch, breaks, and at the beginning of the shift
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- 2 -3 years experience in food manufacturing plant performing quality or analytical procedures related to production. Microbiology or chemistry laboratory experience in food manufacturing plants or bachelor's degree in Microbiology, Food Microbiology, Food Science, or related scientific field preferred.
- Demonstrate full knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices policies and procedures.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of laboratory safe practices for handling equipment, chemicals, and glassware.
- Able to demonstrate understanding and knowledge of aseptic techniques
- Must possess a good understanding of mathematical concepts including dilutions.
- Must possess a basic understanding of microbiological analysis and testing, or the ability to learn.
- Good experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, E-mail, internet, etc.) computer-based programs.
- Good mathematical skills and calculations
- Must utilize time in an efficient manner and be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Strong organizing skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to prioritize and handle multiple projects at the same time.
- Be able to work independently or in a team environment.
- Able to work flexible hours and weekends.
The Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.