JOB SCOPE:The Microbiology Laboratory Manager is to be proficient in every aspect of performing the functions of this position. The Microbiology Laboratory Manager's overall responsibility, and objective, is the management of the microbiology laboratory ensuring the accurate and positive release process and lab operations for finished products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for overseeing and managing the Microbiology Laboratory Department operations including but not limited to:
· Manages routine lab activities and personnel in the analysis and evaluation through chemical, physical, and microbiological tests ensuring the accurate and positive release process and lab operations for finished product.
· Audit laboratory operations to ensure continued quality, efficiency and turnaround time on lab work
· Develops laboratory proficiency to ensure rigorous compliance with the highest standards of precision and accuracy for approved methodologies
· Responsible for the input and accuracy of analytical data
· Oversees writing, updating, and maintaining laboratory procedures
· Ensures laboratory equipment is maintained through regularly scheduled PM
· Maintain direct contact with the Plant Manager
· Work closely with the Regional Director of Food Safety and Quality and the Corporate Microbiology Laboratory Manager ensuring ISO 17025 compliance and utilization of the quality system.
· Ensure timely and accurate responses to customer questions or concerns to maintain high level of customer service.
· Ensure the laboratory is clean, sanitary, well organized and that building, and equipment maintenance operations are performed.
· Has authority to stop work and recall results.
· Oversee the Probiotic Shelf-Life Study.
· Manage the Inter-Laboratory (AOAC) Proficiency Testing Program.
· Oversee the internal audit program and management review.
· Assist in establishing inspection standards and implement as needed.
· Manage and coordinate Nonconforming Work and oversee the Corrective Actions.
· At times the Microbiology Laboratory Manager may need to work on the bench.
· Supervise non-routine projects per request and as assigned.
· Plan Microbiology Laboratory operations intent on ensuring quality time management and speed/quality of completion paralleling with production needs.
· Periodically reviews and visually audit laboratory staff to ensure compliance with methods.
· Maintain proper and legible record keeping.
· Provide proactive support/solutions as needed.
· Hold Microbiology Laboratory employees accountable.
· Promote a team atmosphere, not an "us versus them" mentality.
· Work closely with other members of Management team promptly investigating, communicating, and correcting concerns.
· Actively participate with all functional company areas (Safety, Quality Control, Food Safety, Production, Human Resources, Administration, etc.) ensuring all members of the Microbiology Laboratory Department do the same.
· Perform all other additional duties and functions as assigned by management.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Working overtime is mandatory and requires full participation.
· Participate in all safety programs and meetings.
· Understand, follow, comply, and maintain all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's), and HACCP in accordance with company policy.
· Complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and be conscientious about assignments.
· In accordance with Diamond philosophy, the Microbiology Laboratory Manager is expected to champion and direct continuous learning and improvement in all functions.
· Must work in a safe, professional manner while performing all functions in accordance with sound safety practices and procedures. Must promptly report all safety violations, safety hazards, accidents, property damage, or near misses to management immediately.
· Adhere to and promote a strong work ethic.
· Assist in maintaining a positive team environment and good working relationship by maintaining a positive attitude toward all Diamond team members, vendors, and customers.
· Participate effectively in a team atmosphere by modeling and promoting conflict resolution, diversity, ethical practices, and organizational citizenship.