Nesco Resource is working with a leading manufacturing company for an Environmental Health & Safety Manager to join their team in East Granby, CT. This person will serve as the staff specialist in safety/health by developing and implementing procedures within the company's organization that effectively prevent accidents and health exposures in the workplace and work to assure full OSHA compliance. On a Typical Day You May Be:
Here's What a Successful Candidate Looks Like:
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable local, state & federal (CT Dept. of Labor, CT DEEP, US EPA & OSHA) regulations and codes governing environmental, safety & health at the company.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure compliance with these regulations and codes.
- Chair/direct the monthly or quarterly Safety Committee Meeting and work in a team effort with plant supervisors and other key personnel on follow-up issues.
- Carry out all levels and types of safety training and retraining and corrective actions for all employees at the company.
- Conduct on-site safety & health inspections, reviews, audits and assess risk potential of safety hazards regarding the company's operations and facilities. Promote hourly factory (bargaining unit) employees participation and involvement in safety & health matters. Assist supervision with the management and direction of factory team member safety champions.
- Develop and implement accident investigations, data analysis and recurrence prevention programs and procedures. Use identified "safety champions" where appropriate in the carrying-out of accident investigations or other safety related programs.
- Investigate and evaluate new safety equipment for use. Create and conduct training programs to increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness for all employees. Prepare and arrange health and safety exhibits and displays. Maintain all environmental, health and safety files and records for the Company.
- Actively manage direct and/or indirect reports as well as outside consultants (when hired for services) to further support all EH&S programs and policies. Work closely and effectively with all Manufacturing Supervisors, Cell Managers and other support personnel including Staff as required, regarding the implementation and follow-up of all EH&S programs and policies, including specific safety related programs, as well as any training required to promote safe work practices and policy compliance through the facility.
- Ensure environmental compliance with the regulations of local town, state, and federal agencies (CT DEEP & US EPA) on issues pertaining to air, water, hazardous/non-hazardous waste, and any other applicable environmental concerns (including Annual Tier II, Form "R", Wastewater, Storm Water, Hazardous Waste and Air Emissions Reporting Requirements) that needs to be managed and maintained by law.
- Monitor and keep abreast of all current information on regulations and requirements related to environmental health & safety matters; and stay abreast of and manage completion in a timely manner of all OSHA, CT DEEP, US EPA and/or other regulatory agencies compliance documents/forms on a continuing basis. Attend conferences, meeting, workshops and retraining seminars/courses to keep up-to-date on new environmental, health and safety methods and procedures applicable to new regulations and codes and to maintain a required level of certification/competency.
- Review all company licensing, registrations and documents for regulatory environmental, health & safety compliance.
- Bachelor's in a technical/related field (i.e. Safety, Science, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering)
- 5-7 years of experience in Environmental Health & Safety in a manufacturing environment
- CIH, CSP, CHMM Certifications desired