Impact by Design (IbD) is seeking a passionate and ambitious Manager for our Social Science & Research client projects to enhance IbD’s capacity to help mission-driven teams and organizations achieve their greatest impact.
This position will provide expertise to a diversity of clients, in both a support and/or leadership role, including providing leadership and management for small to mid-sized projects as well as expertise for additional staff-led client projects. These projects may range from facilitating interpretive planning projects; supporting the development of behavior change initiatives; the design of other data-driven conservation, environmental, and animal welfare communications initiatives; project management support; as well as training design and meeting facilitation.
With a fast-growing portfolio, IbD is looking for a Manager who will help us consistently and effectively deliver on client needs. This role is critical for IbD’s success by helping to deliver high-quality processes and materials, and by building strong relationships and confidence with varied and dynamic partners, both in the US and across the globe.
This full-time position will be based remotely, and we are looking for candidates based within the continental US with US work authorization.
What you will do:
We have a diversified portfolio of projects and clients, so your daily activities may vary but will include:
- Designing and facilitating meetings focused on interpretive planning, behavior change initiatives, and other social science projects.
- Providing guidance for clients and IbD team members on best practices in interpretation, behavior change, social marketing, and/or communication for conservation, animal welfare, and the environment.
- Project management for client work, in collaboration with project leads, and leading on project work yourself by collaborating with clients, partners, and team members.
- Managing interactions with clients, including setting up and leading meetings, creating shared resources, organizing data/documents, sending internal and external communications such as project updates, meeting agendas, responses to client requests or questions, coordination, and scheduling.
- Supporting client cultivation through intake calls, proposal development, and contract development.
- Supporting social science research projects, as needed and based on individual experience and familiarity in social science.
- Providing facilitation, training, brainstorming, or other support as needed for projects
- Participating actively in IbD team meetings to plan and deliver client work products.
- Documenting client successes, learning moments, and testimonials to support IbD business development.
What we care most about in this position:
Mission-Driven: You have a genuine passion for mission-driven organizations that support animals, people, and nature; You want to use your skills to help others thrive in their work and achieve their goals.
Empathetic: You are considerate of people’s feelings in the context of behaviors and decisions; You are able to recognize emotions in others, and understand other people's perspectives on a situation in order to support them through challenges.
Problem-solving: You get excited about what’s possible and possess an ability to execute novel ideas; You are comfortable asking questions, surfacing challenges, and seeking support from team members; You have a learning mindset and enjoy creatively solving problems and testing out new concepts. You have the spirit of an entrepreneur, someone who can see problems and solutions and has the ambition to make things better.
Flexible: You do not mind when things change, and you are willing to adapt while still keeping regular work on track; Working with people is fun for you, but you are also motivated and driven when working alone and in a home office.
Experience: You are comfortable working in your area of expertise, from development through implementation; You have already had opportunities to hone your skills and are prepared to tackle projects and convenings of all sizes and dynamics.
Adaptable: You are flexible and eager to adapt to shifting client needs and meeting challenges; You are not afraid of difficult conversations in a meeting setting and know how to create the kinds of spaces where they can happen safely and productively; Working with people is genuinely fun for you, but you are also motivated and driven when working alone and in a home office.
Human-Centered Design: Your priority is creating spaces for others to be successful, not having the limelight on yourself; You have a global worldview and are able to design work for different people and contexts; You value deeply listening to others and responding to their unique needs.
We are looking for someone who has the skills, insights, motivation, and attitude to make IbD an even better organization by providing key expertise, project management, guidance, leadership, and by contributing to the success of the Social Science and Research team.
Candidates need to have demonstrated practical experience in work related to human dimensions of conservation, animal welfare, or the environment. You might have a degree in environmental interpretation/education/communication, conservation/environmental psychology, sociology, natural resources, or equivalent practical experience in human dimensions in the nonprofit sector, perhaps in behavior change for conservation, natural resources management, environmental education, or animal welfare. This position requires travel approximately 10% to 30% of the time, pending travel restrictions and safety considerations.
We are most interested in candidates who demonstrate that they will thrive at IbD and be a genuinely good fit for this work through the following requirements:
- Masters in a relevant field with experience in the human dimensions of natural resource management or conservation
- Certification or coursework in environmental interpretation and experience in environmental interpretation or marketing for conservation or animal welfare
- Proven project management experience
- Proficiency in public speaking and experience facilitating meetings and teams
- Experience in interpreting results, writing reports, and presenting results
- Basic knowledge of the role data plays in human-centered design
- Microsoft Office Suite of products and Google Apps at an intermediate level or higher
- Highly collaborative and eager to work as part of a team, but also a self-starter who can work independently
- Focused and able to work effectively from home and through remote meetings
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Why Impact by Design?
We are a growing organization that is committed to supporting nonprofits focused on conservation, animal welfare, and the environment. We believe that by helping nonprofits be their best, we can help make the world a better place. Our working environment is dynamic, transparent, fun, curious, and supportive, with a focus on our core values which underpin all of our efforts. Find out more about Impact by Design and read our values here: https://www.impactbydesigninc.org/people
All staff members at Impact by Design work remotely – we do not have an office. We offer flexibility and an opportunity to work in a self-directed environment.
This is a full-time, exempt position with annual opportunities for salary advancement within the role. The salary is $65,100 annually. IbD offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, 401k, and reimbursement for healthcare costs.
Impact by Design is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and supportive working environment that allows all team members to thrive; we believe this is essential to achieve our Mission. Learn more about IbD’s Commitment to Equity and Equal Opportunity Employment: https://www.impactbydesigninc.org/jobs
Applications will be accepted through June 10, 2022. Impact by Design is an equal opportunity employer. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. You must be currently legally eligible to work in the United States and able to share proof of eligibility if selected for the position. We are not able to explore work with candidates outside of the U.S. at this time.
We would like to see your traditional resume or CV, but do not want a traditional cover letter. Instead of a cover letter, please answer the following questions in 500 words or less (total for all three questions), and then submit all materials as a PDF or Word document to email@example.com.
- Please tell us why you have decided to apply for this position with Impact by Design.
- Other than your technical skills and experience, what makes you great at what you do?
- Please share an example of a project you worked on that you either project managed or that involved interpretation that you are proud of. Share what went well, and what you may have done differently if you could.