Point Blue Conservation Science is a growing and internationally renowned non-profit with over 160 staff and scientists based in Petaluma, California. Founded in 1965 as Point Reyes Bird Observatory, our mission and programs have evolved over time to include a broad range of conservation activity, from restoration to environmental education to innovative work in the field of regenerative agriculture. We have a proven track record of scientific excellence.
We advance conservation of nature for wildlife and people through science, partnerships, and outreach in California and from Alaska to Antarctica. Our scientists work closely with wildlife managers, private landowners, ranchers, other conservation stakeholders, and federal, state, and local government agencies to increase the pace, scale, and impact of climate-smart conservation. The development operations manager will play an important role ensuring that our field practitioners have the financial resources needed to make a difference during one of the most significant periods in the history of the environmental movement.
The development team at Point Blue consists of the chief development officer, two major gift officers, two foundations/technical grants officers, one annual fund/events manager, and one supporting staff person. The development operations manager will interface closely with this team as well as our finance team. The development team is currently operating in year one of a three-year strategic plan, with the goal of launching a comprehensive fundraising campaign in the near future. This is an exciting opportunity to join a mature fundraising team as we aim to build on current success. Ideal candidates will possess strong analytical skills and serve as a thought partner to the chief development officer as we seek to grow our donor community.
We recognize that increasing racial, gender, cultural, and other diversity, equity, and inclusion factors at Point Blue and in our partnerships is essential for the success of our mission, vision, and strategy. We are actively engaging in a process to create lasting organizational change. Job Summary:
Responsible for managing and optimizing development processes and tools that are crucial to a thriving fundraising function. Serves as the organizational development data leader through expert management of Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge/NXT donor database, responsible for gift processing, receipts, acknowledgment of contributions; maintains integrity of donor financial and non-financial records. Additionally, the development operations manager is responsible for data pulls, reporting and analysis, leads the organization in how to best take advantage of technical advancements, and serves as database operational support for the development team as well as the primary liaison between the development and finance teams. Essential Functions:
Database Management & Operations: 60%
- Responsible for management of Point Blue's donor database on Raiser's Edge and NXT, as well as other current/future Blackbaud applications.
- Subject matter expert on donor database including managing and upgrading structure, defining database protocols and standards, business rules, relationships and integration with financial systems, coding, and functionality. Defines, updates, and maintains records of all tracking codes and tables.
- Responsible for all gift and pledge processing, including data entry into system.
- Verify timely and accurate communication with Point Blue's donors, including producing timely and accurate acknowledgement letters for all donations and formal commitments.
- Ensure accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of giving and donor information in Raiser's Edge; ensure proper capture and use of data for all events.
- Track online giving, facilitate corporate employee matching programs, and crowd funding donation administration.
- Confirm database integrity by conducting regular audits of data, recommend and implement measures to continually improve quality and accuracy of data.
- Manage Raiser's Edge/NXT system and conduct maintenance.
- Build queries and exports for donor lists, including direct mail appeals.
- Provide ongoing coordination, support, and training for database users, including data entry protocols and best practices. Maintain knowledge of new developments and features of online database system; provide users with updates and training as needed.
- Proactively participate in team and departmental meetings, providing updates on activities and suggestions for how database and operations processes can be improved.
- Manage vendor relationships associated with data management, gift processing, and information security.
Reporting and Analytics: 30%
- Develop financial reporting for reconciliation to the GL; create queries and reports to analyze performance of various fundraising initiatives.
- Produce standard and custom reports (such as dashboards for the executive team) to facilitate analysis and decision-making.
- Conduct research to analyze data and provide guidance on metrics for tracking overall giving.
- Develop, prepare, and run reports for various presentations and meetings, including monthly and quarterly fundraising data reports.
- Conduct research and analysis to facilitate discussion and strategy around donor stewardship and cultivation.
- Provide input for segmented mailings based on planned criteria for all appeals, targeted mailings, and events.
- Input/output analytics for appeals; such as giving level-increases, lapsed donors, giving to certain initiatives.
Other Duties as Assigned: 10%
- Implement database operations outcomes as detailed in the "Rising Tide" three-year strategic plan.
- Participate in the development of Point Blue's upcoming five-year strategic plan and future capital campaign.
- Perform special projects and research as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
None currently, but could manage volunteers or short-term contract staff in the future. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Certifications and/or Licenses: Preferred Education and Experience:
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser's Edge & NXT, NetCommunity experience, or exposure to other databases within non-profit and/or science fields.
- Knowledge of non-profit development practices and impact on financial tracking and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of reporting tools, data analysis, and metrics reporting.
- Skills identifying, tracking, and reporting on individual donor agreement requirements.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to present information concisely and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- High proficiency with Windows operating environment; Word and Excel required. Experience with Google Workspace preferred.
- Prior experience in developing identification and reporting strategies related to donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Strong collaborator with demonstrated ability to establish and promote good working relationships with team members and staff across the organization, donors, and volunteers.
- Discretion and proper management of sensitive donor information; must be comfortable working with confidential data. Strong ethics required.
- Brings a strong customer service orientation to interactions with internal and external stakeholders.
This position requires a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in information science or related field and 5+ years of experience in non-profit database management or related field. Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
Position Type, Expected Hours of Work, and Travel:
- This position operates in a professional office environment, with the potential to be either partially or fully remote. In person work to be conducted in accordance with local health guidelines. Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, and filing cabinets.
- Work environment is indoors with majority of time spent sitting at a desk.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, twist, and turn (accommodations possible).
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to use a computer keyboard.
- This is a full-time position.
- Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
- Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- No travel is expected for this position.
Point Blue provides a comprehensive benefit package including employer paid medical and dental for staff and 75% for dependents. Other benefits include life insurance, long-term care, long- and short-term disability, flexible spending accounts, and retirement plans. Compensation:
This position is posted with a salary range of $70,000 to $94,000 depending on experience. How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use "Development Operations Manager" in the subject line. Applications due by March 23, 2022.
Point Blue is committed to increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to join our teams. We strongly encourage applications from people with backgrounds that are under-represented in the conservation community.
Point Blue is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in an uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.