Description Vigor Values
Vigor expects all employees to enhance the atmosphere in which they work by living the Vigor Values every day.Truth:
We seek the truth, and we speak the truth
We act on what we know is right
: We seek mastery, and adapt to a changing world
We care about the people we work with, and the world we live inPOSITION SUMMARY:
This position is responsible for administering and conducting tasks to ensure compliance with the facility's environmental requirements in the areas of stormwater, waste management, and air and water quality permits. Technical assistance to achieve compliance includes report writing, records maintenance, routine inspections and sampling liquids, solids and various items.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works within the production environment to ensure Vigor Industrial's compliance with federal, state and local regulations, particularly the Clean Water and Clean Air Acts, and waste disposal requirements.
- Prepares monthly, semi-annual, and annual compliance reports with accuracy and within required timelines.
- Ensures strict adherence to established environmental protocols in related areas such as waste management, oils and storm water discharge.
- Coordinates waste disposal activities.
- Maintains and monitors pollution abatement equipment.
- Collects data in support of environmental projects, or as needed to compile environmental reports.
- Serves on the spill response team.
- Conducts required monitoring for the facility to meet permitting and regulatory requirements; conducts routine compliance inspections and monitors corrective action measures.
- Provides environmental training to yard employees and subcontractors as well as project vessel masters and crew for compliance with environmental standards and yard protocols.
- Provides prompt notification to production supervisors when practices or situations are noted in the facility that are not in compliance with environmental goals or standards.
- Plan and implement specific environmental projects to meet stated goals to involve examining problem situations, analyzing components; researching and recommending solutions under the oversight of the Environmental Manager, may include coordinating implementation of solution.
- Review data collected in the course of meeting reporting requirements to determine anomalies or problems and identify and resolve errors.
Operates within general parameters outlined above with an emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy when performing tasks and submitting data. Incumbent should be able to perform daily tasking with minimal direction while also ensuring long-term projects are completed on time. Failure to complete tasking by deadline, or submitting inaccurate or incomplete information would be expected to result in penalties against the company. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
This position is expected to interact with all members of the general workforce to provide training and ensure compliance with environmental regulations and company policies. The Environmental Compliance Specialist will meet with other members of the environmental and recycling departments during weekly department meetings and as needed to receive new assignments, assess progress, and provide the team with a general compliance summary. This position will not communicate with outside agencies without prior approval from management.KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to work safely, independently, and efficiently
- Ability to evaluate and maintain records related to shipyard operations and environmental issues.
- Ability to use PC and software applications such as MS Office and databases programs.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials management and waste characterization, as well as environmental hazards in a shipyard facility.
- Knowledge of means and methods of assuring air and water quality compliance.
- Ability to measure wastes and analyzing data.
- Skilled at preparing and presenting research and reports.
- Capability to effectively interact with and influence others in the course of work.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Ability to work effectively in team environment
- Knowledge of commercial ships/ship repair helpful.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
BS degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or related field is preferred.
Experience and comprehensive knowledge of federal, state and local regulations pertaining to waste characterization, profiling, handling and disposal; stormwater management; spill prevention and response. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS:
None required.PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is conducted in a dynamic, fast-paced shipyard setting with moderate to loud noise levels from production activity in the shipyard. Will be required to be in production areas in yard and onboard ships. Must be able to walk to and from job sites. Must be able to frequently climb inclined stairways and vertical ladders. May be required to work more than 8-hour shifts and weekend work. May be required to lift up to 20 pounds. Local travel up to 10% of the time. Out-of-town travel (including air travel) up to 5% of the time with notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While in production areas, will be exposed to all weather conditions, noise, dusts and odors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.