has a part-time temporary opening for a Field Technician
to conduct fish and aquatic habitat sampling and surveying in multiple streams in the Palmer, Alaska area during the 2022 field season. In addition to conducting field work, the position will involve data collection data quality control/assurance, database management and reporting. We understand the concerns with COVID-19 and have policies in place to help keep our employees safe.Who You Are
A Field Technician with a BS in Fisheries, Forestry, Biology or an equivalent field or 2 years of related experience performing fisheries and wildlife studies with knowledge of Pacific Salmon species identification.
Knowledgeable : Working knowledge of Pacific Salmon ecology, life history and species differentiation. Proficient with MS Office Suite include Excel and Access.
Experienced: Experience working in and around rivers. Comfort working from boats and with wading in moving water. Previous experience conducting spawning surveys for adult Pacific Salmon. experience conducting field work with juvenile salmonids including use of electrofishing and minnow trapping and previous experience in Alaska.
Dedicated: Residence or willingness to temporarily relocate within daily commute of Palmer, Alaska). Willingness to travel for work at remote sites. Ability to work independently without supervision. Ability to work in remote, rugged conditions in cold, wet, and heat. Ability to walk 8-10 miles in a day over uneven terrain. Ability to work long and/ or variable hoursAdditional Requirements
About the Position
- Must maintain compliance with rules and regulations specific to sensitive project areas, private property access.
- Must possess permanent authorization to work in the United States and ability to obtain a Passport
- Must be willing to travel and possess a valid driver's license and able to provide self-transportation to job site.
This temporary position provides an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated applicant looking to further their career by using their experience and technical knowledge to support project field teams conducting fish and habitat surveys in multiple locations in Alaska. The successful candidate will be a part of larger field teams but also will be asked to lead specific field surveys. As an extension of field data collection, the position will include complying to project-specific data management and reporting.to complete fish and habitat studies. Specific duties for this position will include:
Who We Are
- Conduct adult salmon counts, spawner surveys, redd inventories
- Conduct juvenile and resident fish sampling, including fish handling, electrofishing and netting techniques, visual estimation techniques (e.g., snorkeling)
- Support flow habitat assessments including physical habitat surveys and discharge and water quality measurements
- Support fish telemetry and behavior studies.
- Operate and maintain fish traps
- Assist logistic support, including schedule coordination, purchasing of equipment and supplies.
- Conduct comprehensive data collection, management, and QAQC
- Provide routine field data collection summaries
- Develop draft report materials including tables, figures, text.
Kleinschmidt is one of the few employee-owned consulting firms in North America specializing in hydropower and we have been doing it for more than 50 years. We focus on developing engineering, regulatory, and environmental solutions that benefit our clients by lowering cost, shortening schedules, and improving regulatory relationships.
Our people are passionate, engaged, and enjoy learning from one another while working on unique and creative projects. Technical excellence is at the heart of our continued success, and we strongly encourage learning and continuous improvement to create professional growth and new opportunities for our employees.
Kleinschmidt is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. It is our company policy and culture to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender status, disability status, national origin, veteran status, and all other dimensions of diversity. Job Posted by ApplicantPro