is a bioinformatics and information technology company that offers innovative computer services, informatics, and enterprise solutions to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in software engineering, bioinformatics, and program management, we focus on developing and applying technology tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate the discovery in translational research. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of health (NIH).Axle
is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Biologist
to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Laboratory of Immune System Biology (LISB), Molecular Development Immune System Section and NIAID Clinical Genomics Program.Technical Requirements
- Perform a wide variety of procedures and techniques which may include, but are not limited to cell culture, DNA analysis, DNA isolation, DNA purification, DNA sequencing, flow cytometry, molecular cloning, western blotting, genotyping, maxiprep, and making competent cells.
- Assist the NIAID Clinical Genomics Program on performing ficoll gradients on blood samples, immunotyping, gDNA isolation, DNA prep, QC, and plate preparation for sequencing.
- Maintain comprehensive and systematic records of DNA pipeline for sequencing.
- Maintain regular communication with research nurse regarding sample readiness, need for replacement samples, etc.
- Maintain and organize inventory of human samples using the Biological Specimen Inventory System (BSI).
- Assist other lab staff on BSI and verify that lab staff enter samples correctly and in real time.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments, including stating methods and procedures, any modifications to employed specimens and materials involved, and results of experiments.
- Assist with preparing experimental data for presentations and publication and reports.
- Assist with analysis, evaluate, and discuss the results of each experiment with the federal task leader as part of the planning process for subsequent studies, and present these findings in individual weekly meetings with supervisor as well as lab group meetings.
- Assist lab manager with maintaining laboratory inventory and ordering supplies, as needed.
- Attend and participate in weekly lab meetings and relevant sub-group meetings.
- Practice professional and confidential communication methods when interacting with outside collaborators.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in biology, life sciences or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience performing the duties listed above in a laboratory setting.
- Candidate must be able to work with other staff members in a collegial, open, respectful, and interactive manner.
- Experience with flow cytometry, genotyping, handling infectious microbes, molecular biology techniques, and maintaining tissue culture cell lines.
- 100% Medical, Dental & Vision premium coverage for Employees
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- 401K Match
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle's employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment-based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual's assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.