Who are we?
The Michigan Milk Producers Association (MMPA) - established in 1916 - is a dairy farmer-owned and operated milk marketing cooperative and dairy processor. As the 10th largest dairy cooperative in the U.S., MMPA serves dairy farmers throughout Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana, employing approximately 625 people in four states.
In addition to a cheese plant in Indiana called the Middlebury Cheese Company, and a dairy product plant in Ohio called Superior Dairy, MMPA operates two SQF Level 3 dairy ingredient plants in Michigan. Products made at MMPA's plants include fluid milk, sour cream, cheese, ultra-filtered milk, cottage cheese, ice cream, butter, nonfat dry milk, cream and condensed skim milk. The Ovid Michigan facility is MMPA's flagship operation, processing as much as 5 million pounds of milk into top quality powders, butter and fluid products per day.
This is a hands-on, engaged with the workforce position, focused on Health, Safety and Environmental. This position will oversee the maintenance and enhancement of a comprehensive HSE program with the goal of reducing work related accidents, injuries and maintaining regulatory compliance.Responsibilities for the role include:
- Administer site EHS programs and procedures to ensure compliance with both regulations and Corporate Standard Operating Procedures
- Conduct internal audits of compliance to regulatory requirements and company policies
- Interact and collaborate with EHS professionals across the organization
- Work to develop a safety culture
- Assist in the emergency response program, including training, planning, drills and response
- Assist with Ergonomics program
- Conduct incident investigations to determine root cause while recommending corrective and preventative actions
- Conduct new hire safety training and annual safety training
- Provide consistent communication of HSE expectations and continually increase knowledge across the organization
- Ensure contractor safety requirements are met
- Maintain and communicate HSE statistics and metrics
- Consult management on all matters relating to health, safety and environment to ensure consistent application
- Maintain records of safety violations, OSHA/MIOSHA logs, workers' compensation cases and other documents
- Administer the chemical safety program, including requirements for hazardous communication and global harmonization
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Degree in Health, Safety & Environmental Engineering/Science or a related discipline
- Work Experience:
- 0-3 years' experience or a combination of education, training and experience
- Must possess or be capable of possessing RCRA/DOT certification for handling of hazardous waste
- Functional Competencies needed:
- Knowledge of State and Federal regulations related to Health, Safety and Environmental
- A sound understanding of and experience using Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Personal Skills/Attributes needed:
- Ability to influence by example and the ability to work with all levels of employees
- Self- motivated, driven individual who is comfortable working in a collaborative work environment
- Good communicator
- Organized with attention to details
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to respond to calls for emergencies 24/7, if needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive list of responsibilities that are required of the role. Responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
MMPA provides the opportunity for meaningful work that makes a difference in the dairy industry and in our communities. The diverse talents and perspectives of our employees help us to meet the needs of our member farms and the customers we serve.