Our mission is to restore cell health and resilience through cellular rejuvenation programming to reverse disease, injury, and the disabilities that occur throughout life.
For more information, see our website at altoslabs.com. What We Want You To Know
We want our employees to bring their whole selves to work and be recognized for the talents, perspectives, and unique life and career experiences they bring. We are a culture of collaboration and scientific freedom, and we believe in the values of diversity, inclusion and belonging to spur innovation.
An exciting opportunity is available for a Research Associate to join Altos Labs at the Bay Area Institute of Science.
The position will be part of a team that focuses on understanding the molecular, genetic, and circuit mechanisms underlying complex behaviors associated with health and disease and how to treat them. One of the primary pathways we have discovered related to this is the integrated stress response (ISR), a conserved stress-signaling pathway that tunes mRNA translation and proteome stability. Another primary pathway we are interested in is how the gut microbiome influences brain function and behaviors (i.e., the gut-microbiota-brain axis), which resulted in the discovery that L. reuteri reverse social deficits in mouse models for Autism spectrum disorder.What You Will Contribute To Altos
- Support research activities of the investigator lab with the supervision of a scientist, including data collection and analysis, management of laboratory collections (physical and databases), and keeping up to date with the field of research.
- Set up and operate laboratory equipment, prepare materials, perform experimental procedures, record and consolidate research data, and execute planned research activities using observation, measurement, and analytical techniques.
- Tasks may include:
Who You Are
- Nucleic acid purification (DNA and RNA)
- Molecular cloning (recombinant DNA technologies)
- Standard molecular and cell biology techniques (agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, Western blot, PCR, qRT-PCR)
- Preparation and analysis of cellular lysates by immunodetection techniques
- Tissue culture work and maintenance of mammalian cell lines
- Lentivirus/retrovirus production and purification
- Assistance in the maintenance and curation of laboratory inventories
- Routine lab tasks
- Support researchers in the maintenance of animal colonies as needed
We are seeking U.S. based applicants who possess the following qualifications, and we are open to candidates with varying levels of experience. The level of the position will depend on the qualifications of the selected candidate.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline.
- 3+ years of wet lab experience in a molecular and cell biology or biochemistry lab (industry or academic)
- Ability to manage animal colonies and knowledge of basic Mendelian genetics
- Knowledge of basic scientific terminology, and familiarity with research laboratory environments
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Google apps, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, and graphic skills in Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
- Mathematical skills sufficient to compile numerical data
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with a broad range of people, including staff colleagues, lab members, PIs, outside agencies and collaborators, and the Altos-BAI community.
- Ability to organize work and set priorities, considering the needs of the lab and the other units/groups involved.
- Ability to focus on details to produce accurate, quality work driven by deadlines.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and with others in a team.
- Consistent, positive, can-do attitude.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to attune through writing and presentations to a variety of audiences
- Problem-solving skills adequate to identify issues, conduct research, and develop innovative solutions
- Demonstrated high productivity and ability to complete work on time.
- Master's degree and at least one year of wet lab experience in a molecular and cell biology or biochemistry lab (industry or academic)
- Hands-on experience with basic molecular and cell biology and biochemistry methods
Altos currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exemptions (e.g., due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief).
Thank you for your interest in Altos Labs where we strive for a culture of Scientific Freedom, Learning and Belonging.