Wittenberg UniversityJob Posting: Vice President for Enrollment Management
Location:200 W. Ward Street
Springfield, Ohio 45504
Vice President for Enrollment Management
Category: Administrative Positions
Department: Enrollment Management
Locations: Springfield, OH
Posted: Feb 23, 2022
Closes: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.: 1-84001-50101
Position ID: 143210
Share About Wittenberg University:
Founded in 1845, Wittenberg University is a Lutheran-affiliated liberal arts college in the heart of Southwest Ohio, that enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg is home to 1,300 full-time students from Ohio, the Great Lakes States, and across the United States and world. Wittenberg offers majors in the humanities, arts and sciences, and in pre-professional disciplines, including business, nursing, and teacher education certification. Key partnerships with other universities provide cooperative programs in athletic training, engineering, forestry, and environmental management, among others.
Student success and results are an important focus at Wittenberg. Ninety-two percent of the Wittenberg Class of 2020 walked across the virtual graduation stage with jobs or acceptances to some of the nation's top graduate programs. Generous alumni give back and continue the cycle of success, contributing to support current students to experience the highest quality of education from world-class faculty, receive a superior value for their education dollars, and enjoy a campus life that is robust and inclusive.
Wittenberg's "Having Light" comprehensive campaign had its public launch in March 2021. The campaign will conclude in 2023 and is ahead of schedule with $92 million of the $100 million goal raised to-date.
With a rich athletic tradition, Wittenberg is a member of the North Coast Athletic Conference and fields 26 intercollegiate Division III teams (#TigerUp). All of our students enjoy the expanded and renovated Health, Wellness, and Athletics (HWA) facility which was completed in October 2019. Students thrive in Wittenberg's active university community, participating in over 100 student organizations, vibrant campus programs, and benefit from a commitment to a holistic living environment.
Wittenberg is home to 102 full-time faculty, 97 percent of whom hold the highest degree in their field. The University currently has more Ohio Professors of the Year than any other four-year institution in the state.
This is an exciting opportunity for a data driven results-oriented strategist to join Wittenberg University as the next Vice President for Enrollment Management. The successful candidate is a dynamic and innovative enrollment leader with keen data analytical skills, an emphasis on operational efficiencies, and possesses the capacity to convey the warm spirit and remarkable stories of Wittenberg's community.
The new Vice President will have the opportunity to lead and develop a cohesive enrollment management team dedicated to achieving enrollment goals and work collaboratively with key partners to enhance student retention and institutional marketing. The strong communal atmosphere of Wittenberg's campus is a key element in this connection-based role - the ability to foster relationships with diverse populations across campus and with all students is essential for success.
Reporting to President Frandsen and serving as a member of Senior Staff, the successful candidate will oversee the strategic efforts of admissions and financial aid.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary duties and responsibilities for the Vice President for Enrollment Management are as follows:
- Work closely with the President and other Senior Staff to craft and implement enrollment strategies to accomplish ambitious goals built on the foundation of a strong mission and tradition;
- Strategically and aggressively plan, develop, execute and assess an enrollment plan for entering students, keeping in mind retention and student success;
- Employ an analytical mindset to effectively use data and cutting-edge technology to inform decision-making and improve overall efficiency of enrollment and marketing processes;
- Develop and execute competitive aid packages, pricing philosophies and strategies to leverage financial aid and scholarships to achieve enrollment goals;
- Lead, motivate and empower talented and hardworking staff and serve as an advocate and mentor;
- Knit together a division dedicated to welcoming and retaining prospective students through genuine relationship-building with students, parents, alumni and counselors;
- Understand and champion the recruitment of diverse student populations and educate others on how to support them;
- Work closely with University Communications to identify marketing opportunities to effectively tell the story of the institution and suggest sound strategies to deliver those messages in an impactful way;
- Collaborate across campus and bridge together departments, programs, and offices including Athletics, COMPASS: Sweet Success Center, co-curricular programs and varying academic departments to attract and retain students;
- Evaluate and redirect resources as needed to meet the established goals;
- Serve on or lead committees, such as the Enrollment Management Advisory Board, to propel the priorities of the division and the university;
- Engage with the internal and external communities in intentional and authentic ways.
The successful candidate will possess a depth of experience in higher education enrollment management and a track record of success, including knowledge of recruitment, admission, student financial aid and services and retention. An appreciation and exhibited understanding of the liberal arts mission of the institution is strongly desired. A bachelor's degree is required, while an advanced degree is preferred.
In addition, candidates should demonstrate the following qualifications, qualities and characteristics:
- Strategic leadership mindset with the ability to execute and implement innovative and creative ideas with a well-crafted approach;
- Dedication to the attributes of flexibility, creativity, compassion and grit;
- A philanthropic conviction that instills a willingness to actively engage in the Wittenberg community and give of their time and talent to the university and wider community;
- Appreciation for a transformative college experience;
- Strong listener who is open minded, compassionate and patient;
- Dedication to mission, tradition and history and the propensity to be inspired by it;
- Understanding of best practices, demographic trends and the landscape in higher education;
- Ability to strengthen communication within the division and across campus in order to engender an environment of trust, transparency and mutual respect; and
- Effective budgeting and financial acumen.
Additional Information:STRATEGIC PLAN:
Wittenberg is in the beginning stages of developing its next strategic plan. The new vice president will be a key participant in the effort.THE PRESIDENT:
Dr. Michael L. Frandsen was named the 15th president of Wittenberg University and began his term in July 2017. Under the theme of "Light Illuminated: Learning, Growing, Changing," Michael L. Frandsen, Ph.D., was formally installed as Wittenberg University's 15th president during an inaugural ceremony steeped in tradition and reflective of the university's mission, April 5, 2018 inside historic Weaver Chapel.
A Pennsylvania native, Frandsen grew up on and around the Penn State campus, then earned his B.S. in finance with distinction. Later he earned an M.B.A. from Penn State and a Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. As a swim coach, he gained a teacher-coach mentality. As a successful finance specialist with corporations, he learned to think broadly about organizations. As a faculty member at several institutions, he brought an innovative spirit to his teaching. And with roles in college administration, he formed an acute understanding of today's higher education landscape. As former Board of Directors' Chair Jonathan Eilert indicates, "President Frandsen clearly sees the big picture, finds the intersections that create opportunity, seeks out creative solutions and collaborates effectively with constituents, all the while staying focused on students...and their success."Living in the Area
Springfield, Ohio is an all-American city with a population of 61,000. Springfield and Wittenberg have a reciprocal relationship, each benefiting because of the other. Site Selection magazine has ranked the Springfield Metro Area second in the nation when it comes to new or expanded economic development projects for metros of its size. Short commutes, community advocacy and a variety of school choices in the city and county add to the quality of life in this Midwestern city. Those who love the outdoors will thrive on the National Trail Parks and Recreation District whether biking, hiking hundreds of miles of trails or kayaking through downtown Springfield.
Springfield is within close proximity to three major metropolitan areas: Dayton is located 25 miles to the west; Columbus is 45 miles to the east; and Cincinnati is 75 miles to the southwest. Both Dayton and Columbus are within commuting distance and are urban environments which offer residents an affordable cost of living, top-notch schools and a wide range of entertainment - from great shopping and dining to world-class sports and the arts.
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Wittenberg University in their search for Vice President for Enrollment Management. For best consideration, please apply by March 23, 2022.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. All applications are treated confidentially. Cover letters should not exceed two pages in length.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially: Wittenberg University is an equal access/equal opportunity affirmative action university.
Wittenberg University - Post Office Box 720 - Springfield, Ohio 45501 - Ph:800-677-7558