Assistant Professor of MicrobiologyDescription/Job SummaryPosition Summary
Baltimore City Community College is searching for an Instructor/Assistant Professor in Microbiology. This position will be responsible for teaching microbiology and other classes as assigned by the Dean of Business, Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (BSTEM). The selected candidate will teach 15 credit hours per semester which includes any combination of classroom and laboratory sessions. Responsibilities include maintaining scheduled office hours; developing and revising curriculum; training faculty in new curriculum as needed; developing and implementing course and program assessment of student learning outcomes; participating in college, division, and department meetings; serving on committees; and other duties as assigned. Teaching assignments could be any combination of face to face (day or evening), hybrid or online, HyFlex and are subject to change as needed. All candidates interviewed will be required to provide a teaching demonstration.Responsibilities/DutiesOverview of position: Summary of position's responsibilities:
Required QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Contributes to the overall achievement of the college's mission and goals through effective instruction and classroom management.
- Plans and prepares for assigned instructional courses.
- Demonstrate knowledge of content and pedagogy.
- Develops instructional outcomes and appropriate evaluation methods that align with course and program outcomes.
- Maintain data to support the student learning and outcome assessment process.
- Creates and maintain an environment of rapport and respect.
- Clearly establish expectations for learning and achievement.
- Maintain up-to-date accurate records on attendance and student progress.
- Make referrals to college resources available to provide services or assistance to students.
- Provide guidance to students for academic planning.
- Engages in the college community for intra-professional networking and professional development.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field of expertise basing current instructional practice on recent evidence.
- Communicate learning expectations.
- Varies teaching techniques and incorporate current technologies.
- Provide students with written and oral feedback.
- Engages in self-assessment of teaching practices and professional development needs.
- Keep all classes and office hours for the required amount of time set forth by the college and maintain good classroom management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Preferred QualificationsPreferred Qualifications:
- Master's Degree in Microbiology or related field.
- Three years of experience teaching in a college setting.
- Familiarity with Canvas or another learning management system (LMS).
- Ph.D. Degree in Microbiology or related field.
- Five years of teaching in a college setting, preferably community college experience.
- Experience with teaching dual enrollment students.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410-209-6007.
For more information, view the and .