Vitro Automotive is located in the foothills of Elkin, NC. The Elkin facility manufactures windshields, side windows and back windows. The EHS Leader plays an important role in helping the team determine where the focus areas should be to ensure we keep our people and the community safe. This position is a part of the local leadership team and is responsible for managing (EH&S) programs for the Plant in a manner that supports Vitro Automotive (PGW) business goals. The incumbent provides EH&S direction and has accountability for the development, direction, implementation and maintenance of management systems and processes that assure ongoing compliance with Vitro Automotive (PGW) and Federal, State and Local regulatory requirements. In addition, s/he focuses on the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, communication and control of potential environmental, health and safety hazards. This role operates in a fast paced environment and must be willing and able to spend time on the floor as well as time spent in the office completing reporting requirements. This is a working manager role.
Responsibilities Establish and maintains processes and programs for Plant safety, health and environment to achieve conformance to Vitro Automotive (PGW), Federal, State and Local regulatory and customer requirements. Facilitate the Plant EHS Leadership Team. Establish, implement and sustain plant safety programs such as, but not limited to, Personal Protective Equipment, Lockout/Tagout, Powered Industrial Trucks, Electrical Safety, Machine Safeguarding, Ergonomics, etc., consistent with established Vitro Automotive (PGW) and Federal, State and Local regulatory requirements. Coordinate the development, implementation and administration of a variety programs that promote employees' safety awareness, such as but not limited to, New Hire EHS Orientation, monthly EHS training, and the Management intervention Process or MIP (Vitro Automotive-PGW behavioral based safety process. Coordinate the provision of competent first aid and/or treatment for work-related injuries/illnesses, health maintenance/medical surveillance and referral services for Vitro Automotive (PGW) employees. Oversee the Workers' Compensation Program in conjunction with the PGW worker's compensation third party administrator and Vitro Automotive (PGW) Corporate EHS. Maintain or oversee the maintenance of employee medical records and maintain record confidentiality. Assist facility supervision and management with incident, injury and/or illness investigations and the identification and implementation of root cause based corrective and preventive actions. Maintain accurate injury/illness records in accordance with Vitro Automotive (PGW) and Federal and State OSHA requirements. Performs periodic analysis of incident and injury/illness data to identify trends and opportunities for continuous improvement. Coordinate the implementation and administration of all health related programs, such as but not limited to, OSHA Hazard Communication, Hearing Conservation, Respiratory Protection, and Industrial Hygiene. Coordinates industrial hygiene monitoring for noise, particulates, hydrocarbon vapor, etc. in accordance with Vitro Automotive (PGW) and regulatory requirements. Obtain, maintain and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and Local environmental related approvals, permits, plans, registrations and routine or periodic monitoring and reporting related to air, EPCRA, waste water, storm water, etc. Ensure compliance with applicable Federal, State, and Local environmental regulatory requirements. Report environmental sustainability metrics in accordance with Vitro Automotive (PGW) requirements. Coordinate the development, implementation and maintenance of environmental management systems necessary to ensure 3rd party certification to the ISO 14001-2015 Environmental Management System Standard in accordance with Vitro Automotive (PGW) ISO 14001 Environmental Management System requirements. Develop, coordinate and ensure implementation of Plant security programs in accordance with PGW and applicable Homeland Security requirements to provide for the security and safety needs of PGW employees, customers, facilities, equipment, product, and confidential data. Continue to improve job-related competence through experience and education to be the technical resource to the plant on all matters of safety & health, Workers Compensation and environmental requirements in an ever-changing regulatory environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Safety or related field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing or heavy industrial business sector
- The Manager, EH&S is the technical expert for environmental safety and health issues for the plant management team. Must work well in a fast paced environment and capable of being a hands-on working manager. S/he interprets and communicates environmental, health & safety standards impacting plant operations, develops, coordinates implementation, and maintains programs designed to minimize EH&S risks. S/he coordinates incident investigation, reporting and follow-up with other plant functions, initiates follow-up action and communication and maintains appropriate files and records in accordance with Vitro and regulatory record retention requirements.
- The incumbent performs job duties and coordinates plant EH&S activities in a professional manner to prevent harm to employees, visitors, public health and the environment and promotes the conservation of energy, water and raw materials. S/he also ensures the integration of pollution prevention initiatives into plant and satellite activities and communicates plant and satellite EH&S processes, programs, initiatives and requirements to contract labor service providers as needed.
- The incumbent must have a high personal interest and aptitude for health, safety, security and the environmental aspects of the business, along with strong interpersonal skills. S/he must also possess strong communication skills (both written and verbal) due to frequent interactions with all levels of plant and corporate personnel, suppliers, contractors and area persons involved in health, safety, security and environmental responsibilities. S/he must possess good listening skills, be self-motivated, and be able to work either independently or as part of a problem-solving team.
- The incumbent must have the ability to analyze and interpret accident data to help determine creative solutions to reduce frequency and severity of injuries. S/he must also be proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite of products including Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook.
- The work environment is an industrial setting in a manufacturing plant and requires travelling approximately 10% of the time.