Sanofi Pasteur is seeking a creative and highly motivated molecular/synthetic biologist to join the vaccine research group in Cambridge, MA. The primary objective for this individual will be to develop innovative approaches to enable rapid prototyping of vaccine candidates against viral pathogens. The successful candidate will design, perform, and execute complex laboratory experiments in molecular and synthetic biology. It is imperative that this candidate has an expert level, hands-on experience with sophisticated, high-throughput molecular cloning techniques and next-generation technologies in synthetic biology. The successful candidate will also have working knowledge of high-throughput screening (HTS) methods for cloning, protein production, and primary screens for correctly folded protein antigens. A fundamental understanding of automation systems as well as data management/analysis/visualization and various other computational aspects which accompany HTS approaches is desired.
The successful candidate will be responsible for performing critical data analyses and for independently preparing and delivering impactful presentations to senior team members and to the global project team. This person will perform some aspects of project management. They will also act as a liaison to internal collaborative teams and external contract organizations and as such must possess excellent communication skills including oral and written presentations. Key Responsibilities:
Molecular & synthetic biology
- Alongside senior technical staff, co-lead the experimental design, planning and execution of viral antigen screen, production, characterization efforts.
- Independently develop and optimize experimental assays to meet project objectives.
- Research, propose, and implement next-generation technologies to increase efficiency of high-throughput screening efforts in an Agile work environment
- Work with internal Automation/Digital/Computational teams to implement data management best practices and ensure that data will be formatted for AI and ML applications
- Serve as a laboratory lead to design and execute experiments with scientific staff that comply with study protocols and maintain scientific norms (contain appropriate positive and negative controls, replicates, standards, etc.) to appropriately achieve goals set forth in study plans.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency with the ability to problem solve in a broad array of experimental protocols.
- Provide guidance to junior personnel regarding protocol development, execution, and data validation.
- Help to lead, monitor, and maintain facility related aspects of the lab and lab equipment as needed
- Present concise scientific presentations in-line with project objectives
- Interact with global project teams as a project liaison
- Support and in some cases lead internal site-specific projects.
- Assist with and/or prepare publications, proposals, reports, patents, and grant applications
- Critically evaluate relevant literature to provide experimental and strategic input to senior team members as needed.
- Actively take part in the training of technical staff
GRP and HSE
Qualifications & Skills:
- Comply with the company safety policies and HSE to minimize risk to self, others and the environment, consistent with HSE policies, community and industry standards
- Identify and help to improve best practices in HSE operations
- Ensure documentation of laboratory experiments are entered in ELSE in a timely manner: analyze and summarize experimental outcomes, record experimental procedures and raw and analyzed data
- Participate in generating/reviewing SOPs and other required documents
- Remain compliant with applicable trainings
- Ph.D. in molecular/synthetic biology or related field with 2-4 years of experience, or Masters' degree and 5 years' experience in a Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology company (in an experimental laboratory environment).
- Knowledge and preferably hands-on experience in synthetic biology, molecular cloning, and protein expression in various upstream systems
- Required hands-on molecular cloning and protein expression - including high-throughput screening approaches
- Familiarity with liquid handlers and automation
- Strong interpersonal, communication, collaboration, leadership, and problem-solving skills are required.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law. As a healthcare company and a vaccine manufacturer, Sanofi has an important responsibility to protect individual and public health. All US based roles require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as part of your job responsibilities. According to the CDC, an individual is considered to be "fully vaccinated" fourteen (14) days after receiving (a) the second dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or (b) the single dose of the J&J vaccine. Fully vaccinated, for new Sanofi employees, is to be fully vaccinated 14 DAYS PRIOR TO START DATE.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.