Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we're seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.Job Description
Discovery Biotherapeutics is seeking an experienced, self-motivated scientist to provide in vitro and in vivo pharmacology support for the advancement of the biologics portfolio at Exelixis. The successful candidate must have strong pharmacology background in cancer as he/she will support preclinical activities of ongoing and new biologics projects in antibody drug conjugates and bispecific antibodies.Qualifications
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, implement and oversee the execution of efficacy/mechanism of action/pharmacokinetics/biodistribution studies in support of proof-of-concept studies on Antibody drug conjugate oncology programs from discovery to lead selection.
- Design, implement and manage in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo studies for pharmacological characterization of drug candidates conducted by CROs and in-house as needed.
- Critical scientific/technical data analysis and interpretation of experiments.
- Interacts and collaborates with internal departments to deliver quality and timely findings in support of drug candidate advancement.
- Effectively communicate scientific concepts, findings and interpretation to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Follows company intellectual property and compliance policies and practices.
- Complies with company health and safety policies and general laboratory practices.
- Supervises staff, including hiring, scheduling and assigning work, reviewing performance, and
recommends salary increases, promotions, transfers, demotions, or terminations.
- Directing work only (no direct reports, but directing work to a CMO, Consultant or 3rd party.)
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree in pharmacology or cancer biology or closely related discipline and twelve years of related experience; or
- Master's degree in pharmacology or cancer biology or closely related discipline and ten years of related experience; or
- PhD degree in pharmacology or cancer biology or closely related discipline and zero to three years of related experience; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong CRO management experience for out-sourcing of in vivo experiments is required.
- Strong scientific understanding of in vitro and in vivo pharmacology, PK, PD concepts in cancer biology is essential. Previous experience working with ADCs strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge in using oncology-based in vivo models for drug discovery is required. Models include syngeneic, xenografts, genetically engineered and humanized mouse models and patient derived xenograft (PDX).
- Demonstrated drive for rigorous scientific excellence. Ability to think critically and creatively to identify and solve scientific problems.
- Ability to work independently, excellent time management and organization skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- A strong team player.
- Proficiency in oncology-based animal tumor models and related animal handing techniques such as routes of dosing (iv, sc, ip, orthotopic etc.), blood collection, tissue collection, necropsy, tumor measurement, clinical observation, rodent survival surgeries, and imaging modalities.
- Skillful in mammalian cell culture and related techniques.
- Good knowledge in Flow cytometry and histology.
- Advanced knowledge in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, PDF, Graphpad prism.
- Good tracking record and report writing.
- Environment: primarily working in laboratories or in office
- Exposures encountered, such as hazardous materials, extreme cold.
- Travel required (10%)
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.