Job Code: 2022-358
Location: Brewster Main Campus
Status: Regular Full Time (40 hrs/wk)
Job Description: Green Chimneys is hiring in our Education department! Green Chimneys School offers a fully integrated approach that includes a complete staff of educators, clinicians, social workers, therapists, farm and wildlife experts, and outdoor specialists who are trained in social skills development, behavior management techniques to assist students in self-regulation skills, and crisis prevention and intervention. The Special Education Teacher is responsible for teaching a self-contained or departmentalized class during a 12 month school year. Specific duties and responsibilities will vary depending on the subject matter the Teacher will teach.
- Develop an I.E.P. (Individualized Education Program) covering a twelve month period on each student assigned and complete progress marks and comments as indicated on the IEP.
- Ensure that students receive related services and accommodations as outlined in the I.E.P.
- Work cooperatively with all departments in our agency and communicate student concerns with the treatment team and supervisor
- Develop plans for effectively communicating progress of students with families, related service providers, and residential staff (if applicable)
- Assist in all ways to create the best possible education program for our students
- Responsible for the accountability and supervision of all students at all times
- Implement Common Core State Standard curriculum to students with varying disabilities
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units and projects and communicate those objectives to the students
- Plan and teach lessons with a balanced approach of instruction, demonstration and independent work that provides students with opportunities to observe, question and investigate
Job Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree required; Master's in Education preferred. Prior field placement in special education preferred.
Licensure/Certification:NYSED Certification in appropriate area. Will consider uncertified candidates who are actively in or willing to go back to school for teaching and have experience with classroom management and teaching.