Job Description and Responsibilities:
The Research Scientist will be a critical member of a team focused on support and development of current and future target research. Laboratory-based work will utilize molecular and biochemical approaches to design, generate and characterize current and pipeline biologics. Non-laboratory-based work will consist of high-level experimental planning, scientific strategy, analyzing data, and presenting results to management and senior leadership. The Protein Biology team works closely with other functional teams including Cellular Immunology and Cell Biology/In Vivo Studies.This person will take on the following tasks:
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- Leads development and implementation of biomolecule analysis.
- Applies metabolomics, proteomics, genetics, and genomics knowledge to develop molecular analysis tools.
- Develops new processes/methods/protocols and brings new technologies to improve function capability and efficiency.
- Collaborates both internally and externally to develop new capabilities.
- Follows existing processes, procedures, and systems to independently design and conduct complex experiments.
- Is also responsible for initiating and implementing changes to established protocols or systems.
Position Requirements and Experience:
- Proven track record and relevant industry experience in biochemistry, molecular biology, or bioengineering-related field
- Extensive knowledge of protein complex identification and characterization techniques
- Experience with protein purification, tagging and other biochemical techniques for assessing protein function
- Exceptional communication skills coupled with strong quantitative analysis skills
- Knowledge of plate-based biochemical reactions (e.g., ELISA, enzyme reactions, protein binding) to evaluate protein binding and function
- Working knowledge of flow cytometry.
- PhD with 0-5 years of relevant experience, or MS with 3+ years of relevant experience, or BS with 5+ years of relevant experience preferably in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or a related discipline
- Proficiency in molecular biology and biochemical techniques including basic tissue culture techniques, isolation of proteins from tissues/cells, SDS-PAGE electrophoresis, western blotting, immunohistochemistry/immunofluorescence and other protein characterization approaches by using a panel of analytical techniques.
- Proficiency in biochemical and protein-based assays including immunoassay development, bio-separation techniques including immunoaffinity protein isolation and multi-step complex protein conjugation.
- Significant experience in producing, manipulating and altering/mutating proteins followed by functional validation for changed properties.
- Knowledge of protein science, especially in receptor binding and analytical techniques for characterization
- Knowledge / understanding of protein structure and how it can be manipulated
- Experience analyzing MS spectra a plus
- Outstanding collaborative skills; well-organized; high attention to detail; thrives in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience with software such as Microsoft Office and GraphPad Prism.
- A strong work ethic, drive, pro-activeness, and ability to execute and multi-task activities with minimal supervision.
- Creative thinking with an emphasis on problem-solving.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and strong documentation skills.
- Exemplifies honesty, ethics, and integrity.
Associated topics: bacteria, bio, bioinformatics, biostatistics, biotechnology, immunobioengineering, metabolism, microbiology, protein, virus