Job DescriptionPosition Summary:Vertex seeks a Molecular Biologist to join the Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) stem cell research group in Boston, MA. The group's mission is to discover and actualize the next generation of cell therapies for Type 1 diabetes. We are looking for a candidate with an interest in development and pancreatic islet biology with experience in molecular biology and cell ontology methods to support research in these areas. The candidate will work with the Stem Cell Research team on several discovery projects across diverse goals related to our cell product. The ideal candidate is scientifically independent and accustomed to taking initiative. The position requires strong communication and organizational skills, as well as proven adaptability and multitasking capability.Key Responsibilities:
- Perform human cell culture and drive discovery research efforts in stem cell and/or islet cell biology through cell-based assays and global bioinformatic approaches, employing techniques including library preparation, single-cell RNA sequencing, and gene expression analysis
- Lead team's use of analytical tools to evaluate cell fate of stem cells and differentiated stem cell-derived islets (SC-islets).
- Execute SOPs and stem cell differentiation campaigns (periodic weekend work is required).
- Work with cross-functional teams to plan, coordinate, and execute experiments.
- Present findings to the group and broader T1D teams, collaborate to summarize data into reports.
Scientific and Non-scientific Skills:
- Experience with Molecular Biology and Cell Ontology techniques, including but not limited to single-cell RNA Seq, Cell Lineage Tracing, etc.
- Familiarity with cell-based assays such as gene expression analysis (qPCR, nanostring, etc) and flow cytometry.
- Experience working at the interface of computational biology and the execution of lab-based experiments.
- Pluripotent stem cell culture experience (e.g., hESC and/or hiPSC) is desirable but not required. Candidates with model organism experience will also be considered.
- Must possess critical thinking and self-reliance to solve tasks independently or ask questions.
- Outstanding organization, multitasking capability.
- Proven track record of leading projects.
- Must possess the flexibility to quickly pivot as projects demand.
Preferred Education and Experience Levels:
- Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in Molecular and Cell Biology or related disciplines and 0-3 years of relevant post-doctoral employment experience. Candidates in Computational Biology will also be considered.
Company InformationVertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.Please note that Vertex requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees working in the U.S. as a condition of employment at Vertex, subject to medical, religious or other accommodations or exemptions required by law. We believe this requirement is vital to keeping everyone at Vertex and in our communities safe. This requirement applies to both existing and new employees who may at any time work on-site at a Vertex facility or visit another location on behalf of Vertex (e.g., conferences, customer visits, etc.), including all remote employees. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.