Job DescriptionWe are seeking a versatile, highly motivated, and goal-oriented scientist to join Vertex Functional Genomics Team in the Human Assay Technologies Department. The candidate will be an expert in flow cytometric technology and very familiar with fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS). He/she will be responsible for training new users and leading the maintenance of instruments and advising team members on best practices. Additionally, the candidate will be working as a part of a multidisciplinary team to generate data, develop new assays and validate technologies from various functional genomics-based work streams. He/she must be detail-oriented, adaptable, and willing to learn new skills in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-paced environment.Key Responsibilities:
- Perform, assist, and train new users with fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS) for various projects.
- Perform routine maintenance and simple troubleshooting of FACS instruments.
- Work in a team setting to develop assays and execute functional genomics screens for target discovery and mechanistic studies.
- General molecular cloning including manipulation of vector backbone for screening libraries.
- Work with the team to continuously innovate functional genomics assays and technologies
- Communicate and document results in a timely and effective manner.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree with 5 plus years relevant industry experience or a PhD with 2 plus year industry experience in Molecular Biology, Genomics or a related field.
- 1-2 years' experience in the operation of flow cytometry instruments and experimental design, and a strong background in Fluorescence activated cell sorting technology.
- Hands-on experience in molecular and cell biology.
- Excellent communication skills, self-motivated, organized, and strong attention to details.
- Willing to work across multiple projects.
- Ability in solving/troubleshooting complex problems.
- A strong team-player and the ability to navigate in a fast-paced environment
Company InformationVertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.Please note that Vertex requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees working in the U.S. as a condition of employment at Vertex, subject to medical, religious or other accommodations or exemptions required by law. We believe this requirement is vital to keeping everyone at Vertex and in our communities safe. This requirement applies to both existing and new employees who may at any time work on-site at a Vertex facility or visit another location on behalf of Vertex (e.g., conferences, customer visits, etc.), including all remote employees. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.