Sr. Research Associate/Research Associate, Discovery Biology
Stoke Therapeutics (Nasdaq: STOK), is a biotechnology company dedicated to addressing the underlying cause of severe diseases by up-regulating protein expression with RNA-based medicines. Using the company's proprietary TANGO (Targeted Augmentation of Nuclear Gene Output) approach Stoke is developing antisense oligonucleotides (ASOs) to selectively restore protein levels. The company's first compound, STK-001 is in clinical testing for the treatment of Dravet syndrome, a severe and progressive genetic epilepsy. Dravet syndrome is one of many diseases caused by a haploinsufficiency, in which a loss of ~50% of normal protein levels leads to disease. The company is pursuing treatment for a second haploinsufficient disease, autosomal dominant optic atrophy (ADOA), the most common inherited optic nerve disorder. Stoke's initial focus is haploinsufficiencies and diseases of the central nervous system and the eye, although proof of concept has been demonstrated in other organs, tissues, and systems, supporting the company's belief in the broad potential for its proprietary approach. Stoke is headquartered in Bedford, Massachusetts with offices in Cambridge, Massachusetts. For more information, visit https://www.stoketherapeutics.com/ or follow the company on Twitter at @StokeTx.Position Purpose:
Stoke is seeking an enthusiastic, motivated Research Associate/Senior Research Associate. The candidate will be contributing to advance our discovery-stage targets and taking novel drug products into preclinical Proof-of-concept studies. The candidate will report to a Senior Scientist in the Discovery Research Group and support ongoing research efforts in developing oligonucleotide-based therapies. The candidate is expected to perform the following activities:Key Responsibilities:
Required Skills & Experience:
- Work in aseptic conditions and maintain cultures of various cell types.
- Screen and evaluate antisense oligonucleotides in relevant cell-based assays.
- Perform cell and molecular biology techniques such as RNA and protein isolation from cells and tissue samples, RT-PCR, RT-qPCR, western blotting.
- Troubleshoot experiments, analyze and interpret data, participate in development of new assays.
- Maintain accurate documentation of experiments in electronic lab notebook (ELN).
- Present research findings at group meetings.
- Collaborate with peers in a result-oriented research environment.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy:
- Research Associate: B.S with a minimum of 2+ years post-graduate experience in molecular and cell biology research, preferably in industry.
- Senior Research Associate: B.S. with 5+ years post-graduate experience in molecular and cell biology research, preferably industry, or M.S. with a minimum of 2+ years post-graduate experience in molecular and cell biology research, preferably industry.
- Strong background in cell and molecular biology research; understanding of the basics of PCR is a must.
- Strong hands-on experience in RNA isolation techniques, mammalian cell culture and cell-based assays is strongly desirable.
- Strong attention to detail, and organizational and recordkeeping skills is a must.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent planning and time management skills including the ability to support and prioritize multiple projects.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office tools: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PRISM.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
Company policy requires that all employees and all new hires be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the earlier of November 15 or when the new Department of Labor rules regarding testing and vaccinations take effect. By applying, you are confirming that, if hired, you can satisfy this express condition of employment. At present, an individual is deemed "fully vaccinated" when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). The Company will make reasonable accommodations under applicable law for qualified individuals to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship for the Company.
At Stoke, we believe that innovation, the ability to successfully advance our ground-breaking science and having fun as a team are enhanced by being together, in person. As we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic with a high rate of vaccination among our employees, we have begun a return to our physical work environments and resumed some business travel to engage with stakeholders when appropriate. We have established guidelines to allow for flexibility in work arrangements that balance individual's needs and preferences with the needs of our business and our desire to foster a culture of collaboration and innovation. For some roles, the necessity of being physically present every day has and continues to be a priority to ensure continued progress with our important work for patients. We will continue to evaluate our practices as we move through this unique period.Location(s):
Stoke operates sites in Bedford, MA, and Cambridge, MA. This position will be in Bedford, MA.Travel:
This position will require approximately 5% travel.Benefits & Compensation:
At Stoke Therapeutics we are proud to offer comprehensive and competitive employee benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance; life, long and short-term disability insurance; Paid Parental Leave; a 401K program with company match, unlimited vacation time, and an Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP). Compensation is market competitive for the industry and directly commensurate with experience. All positions are bonus and stock eligible.
We are unrelenting in our pursuit of a culture that welcomes and celebrates diversity and respect for one another. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability or protected veteran status.Interested candidates should visit Stoke's website to learn more and apply directly to the position listed on our Career Center:
Stoke participates in E-Verify.