Job Description Purchasing Specialist, Supply Chain Baltimore, Maryland
BioIVT is a leading global provider of high-quality biological specimens and value-added services. We specialize in control and disease state samples including human and animal tissues, cell products, blood, and other biofluids. Our unmatched portfolio of clinical specimens directly supports precision medicine research and the effort to improve patient outcomes by coupling comprehensive clinical data with donor samples.
Our Research Services team works collaboratively with clients to provide in vitro hepatic modeling solutions. And as the world's premier supplier of ADME-Tox model systems, including hepatocytes and subcellular fractions, BioIVT enables scientists to better understand the pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism of newly discovered compounds and their effects on disease processes. By combining our technical expertise, exceptional customer service, and unparalleled access to biological specimens, BioIVT serves the research community as a trusted partner in ELEVATING SCIENCE®.
The Global Purchasing Analyst is a new role being created to leverage all of BioIVT's sites for volume discounts, stock-out reductions, and propagation of supply chain best practices. The analyst will meet with other sites to understand purchasing trends, aggregate demand, create and automate reports, and work toward global supply agreements with our vendors. Additionally, this new role will be instrumental in establishing and implementing purchasing and supply chain procedures and best practices and at individual sites. The position is based in Baltimore, MD, but the analyst will work with six to twelve sites across the US.
BioIVT (IVT) employs proprietary expertise in hepatocytes (liver cell) technology and is the premier world provider of in vitro testing products to the pharmaceutical industry. BioIVT's products screen drug compounds for liver toxicity, thereby enabling our customers to proactively eliminate toxic compounds early in the drug discovery and development process. By eliminating the time and cost of further development on compounds that will not be properly metabolized by the human liver, BioIVT helps our customers bring new products to the market faster and more cost-effectively.
- Aggregate demand globally to leverage volume discounts and assist in a team of two to establish supply agreements with key suppliers
- Manage supply shortages via optimal safety stock levels, site allocations, and intercompany transfers. Communicate and plan for potential shortfalls.
- Institute alternate sourcing options for key materials to ensure continuity of supply and to increase negotiating power
- Manage vendor relationships and resolve and consistent issues with quality, shipping, or billing issues. Evaluate vendor performance.
- Maintain CITES International Trade permit applications with US Fish and Wildlife
- Aggregate outbound and inbound shipping demand and establish transportation and freight forwarding contracts
- Assist with negotiations for capital expenditures
- When possible, institute consignment and/or vendor-managed inventory arrangements
- Create, run, and analyze reports out of X3
- By working with Business Development and understanding sales forecasts, analyze longer-term demand trends to leverage any increased volume and ensure continuity of supply
- Assist with projects to institute improved materials requirement planning (Baltimore site)
- Assist with continuous improvement projects to close gaps in inventory integrity and control (Baltimore site)
- Minimum of a BS degree, with the major course of study in manufacturing operations, business administration, engineering, logistics, or science.
- Experience working with ERP systems
- 2-5 years of supply chain experience
- Knowledge of the Procure-to-Pay cycle
- Knowledge of Sourcing and Supply Agreements
- Experience with Materials Requirements Planning
- Strong analytical skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience with Six Sigma or other process improvement methodologies
- Ability to make decisions and solve practical problems with a variety of variables in situations where standardization exists.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and collaborative approach; focused on building and maintaining successful professional relationships.
- Coordination and organizational skills as demonstrated in multi-tasking and responding with flexibility and a sense of urgency to business needs in a pressured environment, while sustaining high levels of quality and service standards, and maintaining a consistently strong work ethic.
- APICS certification (CPIM) and/or Purchasing certification (CPM) preferred.
- Experience with X3 ERP systems.
- Project management skills.
Physical Demands/Work Environment: The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work requires some standing and sitting for long periods of time in and out of the lab.
- Lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
- Work requires handling potentially hazardous substances (toxic or caustic chemicals).
The Company is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled Employer