Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Job Category
Risk ControlCompensation Overview
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.Salary Range
$91,800.00 - $151,500.00Target Openings
1What Is the Opportunity?
Reports to Technical Director under general supervision. Responsible for Ocean Marine, Ocean Cargo and related marine business. Delivers Ocean Marine and Transportation specialty services as assigned. Provides technical training and support to Risk Control generalists. Able to work with national or multi-regional customers.Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver specialist level service in area of Ocean Marine (eg: risk evaluation, management consulting, strategy development, training) to meet needs of underwriting and customers.
- Provide risk control assesments for Ocean Cargo, Motor truck and transportation risks
- Account coordination and management for for outside marine surveyors and third party experts
- Provide technical expertise for cargo, hull and liability lines of coverage
- Serve as a technical resource to Risk Control field organizations and Ocean Marine business partners.
- Trend Analysis and review for Ocean Marine lines of buisness
- Collaborate and provide technical assistance to Ocean Marine claims on loss investigations
- On site risk assessment, risk improvement consulting service for Ocean and Inland Marine Customers
- Collaborate in technical development of Risk Control staff in partnership with field management on areas of ocean marine. Conducts co-surveys with and performs quality assessments on work of field staff.
- Consult with Ocean Marine clients and business partners on ways to control hazards in order to reduce or prevent losses.
- Understand and apply practical, collaborative consulting concepts in helping clients develop ongoing programs for continuous safety improvement.
- Document findings and recommendations to internal business partners and/or clients. Influence clients to implement recommendations.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory environment and emerging issues in the Marine lines of buisness.
- Maintain timely, relevant communications with Technical Unit Manager, Regional Managers and Risk Control staff.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Five years in area of of Marine Surveying and Maritime Industry Experience
- Undergraduate degree preferable from Maritime Academy or equivalent
- Previous Maritime experience preferred
- Valid driver's license required.
- Must be able to attain appropriate certification to meet state specific requirements where applicable.
Licensing or Certificates
- BS degree in environmental health and safety, engineering, sciences or related technical fields preferred. Relevant experience in consulting or industry will be considered.
- Cargo load and securing experience
- Automatic sprinkler and assessment experience
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- As needed for discipline.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Prior Ocean Marine surveying experience
- Understanding of Commercial Lines, Ocean and Inland Marine insurance products, services, and risk selection practices preferred.
- Willing to meet and understand Risk Control performance standards, policies and procedures.
- Ocean Marine, Inland Marine and Transportation Technical Expertise:
- Demonstrated expertise/command in specialties and ability to maintain up to date knowledge.
- Makes complex technical information and recommendations understandable and clear to audiences with varied levels of technical knowledge.
- Can acquire working knowledge of relevant Risk Control computer systems applications.
- Maintains relevant professional designation.
- Customer Service:
- Balances customer expectations and expense constraints.
- Builds credibility with internal and external customers.
- Creates customer satisfaction by demonstrating the value of Risk Control services.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Resource Management:
- Continually assesses workload in light of business priorities; directs own efforts.
- Influences others to take action on recommendations.
- Travel Requirements: Travel Frequently
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.