Land Management Specialist
Bureau of Land Resources
Job Summary: This is professional work assisting in the development, implementation, and management of SJRWMD's land management programs.
Job duties include:
- Coordinates with other agencies and local governments on development and implementation of land management agreements. Encourages public support for the land management program by: supervising the installation of public access points and facilities, and managing their use; responding to public inquiries; supervising public use; conducting tours; making presentations and; attending meetings.
- Monitors natural communities for management needs and effects of management activities by conducting inventories of plants, animals and lands. Assists in the development and implementation of the Area Management Lands by providing first hand knowledge of properties and ground investigations and writing plans. Ensures proper implementation of restoration and other activities through supervision of contractors, volunteer crews or actual participation. Manages land management contract and leases.
- Participates in prescribed burning activities for natural resource enhancement by: developing plans, prescriptions, schedules; containment, protecting threatened and endangered plant and animal species; creating and locating fire lines; overseeing the work of contractors in the establishment and maintenance of fire lines; coordinating activities with other departments and agencies; conducting and supervising actual burns and; monitoring the short and long range effects of reporting the observations; assists with herbicide applications as needed.
- Assists in the coordination of the land management program with other departments, agencies and lessees by: assisting in the formulation of agreements and licenses; managing leases; ensuring compliance with agreements and licenses and; maintaining contacts with cooperators and lessees. Gives presentations at various public meetings.
- Protects District lands and facilities by: assisting in the development of security plans; observing and reporting activities such as vandalism, poaching and wildfires and; maintaining good relations with local law enforcement personnel. Coordinates with contract law enforcement staff.
Ability to: Communicate and work well as a team member; endure harsh outdoor environments in uncomfortable/extreme conditions, and remote locations; lift and/or move equipment; maintain a priority of safety, make effective, consistent, and defensible decisions; operate or learn to operate vehicles/vessels/heavy equipment (e.g. 4wd trucks, ATV, airboats, marsh masters, and farm tractors/implements, bulldozers, etc).
Skilled In: Natural communities identification, basic plant and animal identification, applying basic principles of ecological based resource management, basic computer and GIS/GPS skills.
A Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university with a major in forestry, ecology, natural resources, wildlife management, natural science or related field; or an associate degree from an accredited college in forest technology or related natural resource field and two years of natural resource management experience.
SJRWMD has determined this to be a mandatory-testing position as described in Section 440.102, Florida Statutes and the Commercial Motor Vehicle Drug Testing Program as described in 49 CFR Part 382. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successfully passing a drug screening paid by SJRWMD. The SJRWMD Drug Free Workplace Notice to Job Applicants and the Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Drug Testing Program Notice to Job Applicants is available for review in the Careers section at www.sjrwmd.com.
Salary Range: $39,894.40 - $49,857.60
Starting salary is based on qualifications and experience
Benefits include Florida Retirement System, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, paid leave and holidays, professional development, wellness program and telework options.
Your application will receive careful consideration, and if selected for an interview, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment. St. Johns River Water Management District participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such service members and veterans will receive preference in employment and are encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Veterans' Preference/Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free Workplace
Location: Palm Bay
Closing Date: Open until filled