Our mission is to restore cell health and resilience through cellular rejuvenation programming to reverse disease, injury, and the disabilities that occur throughout life.
For more information, see our website at altoslabs.com. What We Want You To Know
We want our employees to bring their whole selves to work and be recognized for the talents, perspectives, and unique life and career experiences they bring. We are a culture of collaboration and scientific freedom, and we believe in the values of diversity, inclusion and belonging to spur innovation. What You Will Contribute To Altos
An exciting opportunity is available for a Scientist to join Dr. Mauro Costa-Mattioli's group at the Bay Area Institute of Science. The team seeks to ask big questions and generate new knowledge related to fundamental biological processes. Thus far, the group has studied the molecular, genetic, and circuit mechanisms underlying complex behaviors associated with health and disease and how to treat them. One of the primary pathways we have discovered related to this is the integrated stress response (ISR), a conserved stress-signaling pathway that tunes mRNA translation and proteome stability (Costa-Mattioli & Walter, Science 2021). Another primary pathway we are interested in is how the gut microbiome influences brain function and behaviors (i.e., the gut-microbiota-brain axis), which resulted in the discovery that L. reuteri reverse social deficits in mouse models for Autism spectrum disorder (Buffington et al., Cell 2016). Our work at Altos will leverage our expertise in these areas, and delve into new areas, to address and reverse age-related diseases.What we offer:
Major responsibilities include
- A state-of-the-art and vibrant research institute located in the San Francisco Bay Area that will expose you to a team of world-class scientists with a broad range of expertise.
- A novel hybrid approach to research combining the best of both the academic and industrial worlds (i.e. the freedom of academia and the resources of industry).
- Access to cutting-edge infrastructure and technical support that will allow you to focus entirely on your project(s).
Who You Are
- In collaboration with the PI, develop an ambitious project(s) centered on regulation of protein synthesis and the impact on cellular health and rejuvenation.
- Think creatively and independently while designing and conducting experiments.
- Communicate your findings to Altos Labs and other scientists as needed through high-quality publications and posters/presentations.
- PhD in a relevant discipline.
- Documented record of professional achievement in the form of impactful publications.
- Experience in any of a range of cutting-edge experimental approaches including optogenetics, advanced imaging, high-throughput screening, CRISPR technology, proteomics, chemical biology, molecular biology, electrophysiology, stem cell biology, bioinformatics/artificial intelligence, and behavioral techniques.
- Experience working in or tangential to protein synthesis regulation, cellular stress responses and related pathways (i.e. mRNA translation, uORF control of mRNAs, mRNA structure/function, mTOR signaling, etc.).
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Google and Microsoft apps.
Altos currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exemptions (e.g., due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief).
Thank you for your interest in Altos Labs where we strive for a culture of Scientific Freedom, Learning and Belonging.