Philadelphia Gas Works
Looking for a challenge and ready to light up your career?
Free Health Insurance - Free Dental Insurance - Pension Plan - Free Parking - Wellness Programs
The Philadelphia Gas Works (PGW) is the largest municipally-owned gas utility in the nation, supplying gas service in the City of Philadelphia to over 500,000 customers. From its humble beginnings in 1836, PGW has grown into the large, modern facility that exists today. As one of the nation's leading natural gas providers, PGW prides itself on stability and continual growth. PGW is dedicated to becoming the Greenest Natural Gas Delivery Company in the region.
Make a difference in your future - Become part of the PGW Team!Environmental Engineer I or IIResponsibilities:
- Coordinate and manage work schedules with environmental contractors and applicable PGW Operations personnel involving daily remediation work at former PADEP Act 2 sites.
- Supervise environmental contractor daily activities relative to contract requirements, project schedules and conformance with state and federal environmental regulations.
- Maintain drawings, reports and all regulatory documentation in relation to PADEP Act 2 site remediation work.
- Research and recommend remedial technologies while confirming cost effectiveness of ongoing remediation.
- Provide summaries for all phases of environmental contractor site remediation, while tracking project costs.
- Develop and provide all supporting data, reports and analyses for reuse or demolition of PGW structures and processes which are affected and/or cause for environmental contamination.
- Oversee other company-wide environmental activities and projects, including air and water permit renewals.
- Assist PGW Chemical Services and ancillary environmental contractors with sampling and analytical services related to environmental property surveys, assessment, and remediation.
- Coordinate and ensure timely responses to inquiries and informational requests from applicable regulatory agencies, including Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
- Ensure employee Right-to-Know hazardous substance survey forms are annually updated and distributed to appropriate departments.
- Evaluate new products for use at PGW and investigates proper substitutes for products that are being phased out due to adverse effects to the environment.
- Maintain drawings, schematics, and all documentation in relation to environmental site remediation work.
- Oversee and ensure all environmental assessment and remediation projects are in compliance with applicable Federal and State regulations, including State's Land Recycling, Environmental Remediation Standards Act (Act 2) and the Storage Tank Act.
- Oversee and provide recommendations for the reuse or demolition of PGW structures and processes which are effected by and/or a cause for environmental contamination, including: manufactured gas plant buildings, process structures, piping, and holders; subsurface natural gas distribution systems; aboveground and underground storage tanks; and supplemental natural gas facilities and processes.
- Perform material and product testing to ensure overall employee health and safety while minimizing potential chemical exposures to PGW personnel employees and contractors.
- Provide status reports and coordination of project resources including accountability of project expenses and explanation of variances from budgeted cost estimates.
- Review and confirm or disproves independent laboratory analytical data and reports.
- Generate various technical and status reports on a weekly, monthly and annual basis.
- Keep abreast of current trends in environmental sciences as they relate to building standards, workplace hazards, incorporating green initiatives, etc.
- Perform other special projects and assignments as requested.
- Bachelor's degree (BS) in Chemistry, Chemical, Civil or Environmental Engineering/Science or other related scientific field of study required
- 1 to 4 years of directly related experience working with utility services environmental and/or public safety issues including testing, analysis and reporting
- Must be have knowledge of federal, state and local public safety regulations covered by Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Environmental Protection Agency, Centers for Disease Control, etc.
- Must have knowledge of scientifically approved and recognized methodologies with the ability to apply learned things to ensure the accuracy of results through appropriate quality control and quality assurance measures
- Must have organizational, planning and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage multiple projects under high pressure situations while meeting established deadlines
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently on both routine and non-routine duties and assignments, with little or no assistance supervision required to perform job functions.
- Must have communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interpret and convey technical information in clear terms for non-technical staff of all business disciplines.
- Must be flexible to work between sites and out-of-hours for various projects
- Must have a valid Pennsylvania Driver's License with good driving record
Effective November 8, 2021, PGW requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodations.
We offer a strong benefit package that includes free basic health and dental insurance. PGW is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/VAAP/EEO.
Location: 800 W Montgomery Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19122While we appreciate all responses, only those who are uniquely qualified will be contacted. Local candidates will be given preference - interview expenses are not funded.