Competitive Salary, Bonus & Benefits Location:
Do you have a passion for applying chemical biology to take on difficult problems in small molecule drug discovery? Are you hungry for identifying the next big thing at the interface of chemistry, biology, and proteomics that will make an impact on treating serious diseases? If so, join us! About AstraZeneca:
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-centered biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious disease. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and fuel your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients, and society! Bring your expertise, apply your knowledge, follow the science, and make a difference.
AstraZeneca's Postdoc Program is for self-motivated individuals looking to solve exciting, high impact projects in a collaborative, engaging and innovative environment. Work with peers and professionals from a diverse group of backgrounds, and an extraordinary academic mentor specifically aligned to your project. We'll help develop valuable networks which support your research and future career development.
AstraZeneca Postdocs are respected as specialists and encouraged to speak up. They lead ground-breaking science and develop new research projects. Our vibrant, multi-disciplinary scientific teams empower and support our Postdocs, and encourage them to share their research at conferences, publish papers, achieve their goals and make a difference to our patients.
You'll learn from industry leaders working on innovative research across our organization. Our Postdoc Program will support in developing transferrable skills from influencing others to shape the agenda. About our Postdoc Program:
We're currently looking for dedicated scientists and researchers to join our innovative academic-style Postdoc Program. From our center in Cambridge, UK or Gaithersburg, US, you'll be in a global pharmaceutical environment, supplying live projects right from the beginning. You will take part in a comprehensive training program, with access to innovative Machine Learning and AI ideas, given access to our existing Postdoctoral research, and encouraged to pursue your own independent research.
What's more, you'll have the support of a leading academic advisor, who'll provide the guidance and knowledge you need to develop your career. This is an exciting area that hasn't been explored to its full potential, making this a chance to make a real difference to the future of data science. About this Opportunity:
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Chemical Biology team at AstraZeneca and discover new ways of modulating protein functions giving to the evolving protein degradation field. This role will join our Discovery Sciences department, which was established in 2011 as a scientific unit that works across all disease areas, modalities, and geographic locations in supporting the identification of quality targets, hits, leads, and drug candidates.
As a postdoctoral scientist in the Discovery Sciences - Chemical Biology and Proteomics department, you will address critical problems in drug discovery and collaborate with top academic and industrial scientists in small molecule and biologics-based therapeutics. Work in with the top chemical biology and proteomics group in the industry, while simultaneously gaining exposure to different therapeutic areas such as Oncology, Respiratory / Inflammation, and Cardiovascular / Renal / Metabolism.
Our program provides a unique blended academic and industrial intellectual environment; this unparalleled opportunity provides the potential for high impact publications, and serves an excellent launchpad for a career in biomedical or drug discovery research.
If that sounds like you, read on. Main Responsibilities:
- Design and synthesis of chemical probes for proof-of-concept for application of small molecule-lysosome targeting chimeras for degradation of extracellular proteins.
- Develop biochemical and cellular assays that measure the binding affinity of target ligands and chimeras to their intended targets, as well as imaging assays to monitor internalization.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Using proteomics-based methods to understand the underlying selectivity and mechanism of protein degradation and protein turnover rates
- Collaborate with internal and external scientists from multiple different backgrounds as project requires.
- Present results at AstraZeneca symposia, external scientific conferences, and publish peer-reviewed scientific papers in high quality journals
- PhD in Chemical Biology, Chemistry, or Biochemistry
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience in the design and synthesis of chemical probes
- Proficient in mammalian cell culture, including the design, execution, and analysis of results from complex biochemical and cellular assays, including imaging-based assays
- Strong organizational, communication (oral and written), and interpersonal skills towards working in a collaborative, team environment
- Proven project leadership skills with experience and passion to summarize data in peer reviewed publications and reviews
This is a 2 year program- with an additional 3 month extension which will be merit based.Advert Open: March 31st Advert Closes: May 2nd
- Ability to multitask and confidence in conducting research at the interface of chemistry and biology
If you require any reasonable adjustments or accommodations during your application or interview process, please let us know