Since 1984, SCS Global Services has been a pioneer and leader in the field of sustainability standards and third-party certification, working across the economy in the natural resources, built environment, food and agriculture, consumer products and climate sectors. Partnering with companies, government agencies, NGOs, and stakeholders, we are striving to advance sustainable development goals through independent assessment, the application of sound science, and innovative solutions. Through these services, we are enabling decision-makers and purchasers to make informed decisions, giving innovators a competitive edge, and helping to drive the development of leadership standards to create a framework for continuous improvement.Job Overview
The Technical Specialist supports the successful operation of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Fisheries Program at SCS. Fisheries employ the MSC Fisheries Standard certification worldwide to demonstrate their commitment to providing sustainable seafood. The Technical Specialist is responsible for successfully interpreting and implementing the MSC Fisheries standards for sustainable fisheries. In addition, the Technical Specialist will be responsible for managing a portfolio of clients, conducting MSC assessments as part of an audit team, and providing administrative and technical support to the audit teams, clients, international affiliates, and colleagues. The position also includes periodic field auditing. Relevant Schemes/services
Roles and Responsibilities:Project Management
- MSC Fisheries, and others as approved by MSC Fisheries Program Manager
Auditing & Technical Oversight
- Responsible for managing a portfolio of fishery assessments.
- Coordinate internal resources and external auditors for project execution.
- Monitor and track individual projects' progress to ensure deliverables meet established timelines.
- Point of contact for clients, providing advice and assistance in response to operational and technical questions.
- Produce and review reports, ensuring these meet MSC standard requirements.
Program Quality and Development
- Review and interpret scientific information related to the impact of fisheries to score and assess their performance in line with the requirements of the MSC Fisheries Standard
- Conduct technical reviews, providing support and training to new auditors on technical aspects of the MSC standard.
- Responsible for leading and facilitating stakeholder consultation with scientists, conservation groups, fisheries management groups, and industry.
- Establish and maintain communication with MSC staff to ensure accurate and consistent standard interpretation.
- Complete training for MSC assessment team leader, responsible for providing guidance to the assessment team and overseeing the assessment process.
- Support the MSC Fisheries Program in the development and maintenance of program procedures and documents in compliance with all relevant standards and company policies.
- Participate in the internal and external audit processes and ensure ongoing compliance with relevant standards and policies.
- University degree in fisheries, marine conservation biology, natural resources, environmental management, or relevant field (e.g., economics, mathematics, statistics). Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the fisheries sector in management or research experience in marine conservation biology, fisheries science, or fisheries management
- Three years or more experience in research into, policy analysis for, or management of, the impact of fisheries on aquatic ecosystems, including at least two of the following topics: Bycatch, Endangered, threatened, or protected (ETP) species, Habitats or Ecosystem interactions.
- Experience in leading teams and projects, mainly involving collaborative report deliverables and stakeholder engagement
- Fluency in English and work experience that includes professional written communication
- Strong organization, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills
- Proficient with business software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and database management
- Strong attention to detail, customer service, and teamwork orientation
- The initiative, good judgment, and ability to work independently under pressure in a changing environment
- Ability to legally work in the US and to travel internationally, as needed
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, or Japanese is highly desirable.
- Prior experience working directly with the fishing industry or MSC scheme is highly desirable.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered, unless precluded by local and national jurisdiction. Pursuant to local and national law--proof of vaccination required. Medical and religious accommodations will also be considered.
*SCS, Working Remotely:
At this time, SCS Global Services is recruiting all open roles to be remote; allowing our employees the ability to work flexibly and allowing SCS as a company to diversify the experience and perspectives of our growing workforce.
As part of our remote work, we want to ensure that our employees have what they need to work from home. We provide our new employees with a computer and can offer assistance in acquiring ergonomic necessities.EEOC Statement
SCS Global Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SCS Global Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training