Scientist II, AAV Molecular Biology
In your role, you will work with the Research team to generate, characterize and expand the portfolio of AAV-based programs. You will conduct basic research and technology development associate with our discovery and preclinical programs. This important role contributes to our company's vector engineering and evaluation processes and calls for an established background in cell culture, a molecular biology skillset, and the ability to learn, develop, and optimize detailed protocols as the need arises.
Successful candidates will place emphasis on understanding project goals and creatively developing solutions. This is an opportunity to be one of the first twenty employees in a rapidly growing, and scientifically significant ocular gene therapy startup looking to restore vision to patients who have lost it due to inherited retinal diseases or other causes. We are a tight-knit, integrated team that places a high importance on doing the best work at the right time with intellectual bravery. If you are a self-starter, mature in your understanding of best-in-class laboratory work, and confident in your ability to identify the most important work to be done right now, we would love to speak with you.
· Design and optimize DNA vector constructs (AAV backbone) to support discovery and preclinical activities
· Work with collaborators to identify, design and evaluate minimal cell-specific promoters
· Lead the design, optimization, and execution of in vitro assays to validate and characterize novel constructs
· Establish in vitro assays to support research activities
· Work closely with the Team Lead to plan and execute key studies in-house and at CRO
· Oversee AAV production pipeline to ensure program timelines are met
· Present experimental designs, results and interpretations in group meetings, project team meetings and/or departmental meetings.
· Maintain detailed records of experiments in the form of electronic lab notebook (eLN) and study reports.
· Ph.D. with over 2 years in molecular biology, virology, biotechnology, or related field in industry settings.
· Proficient in mammalian cell culture and aseptic techniques
· Prior experience working with viral vectors, ideally AAV, and knowledge of construct design
· Proven track record showing proficiency in molecular biology techniques (e.g. molecular cloning techniques, immunoblot, gene transfection procedures etc…)
· Ability to design and develop new assays, rigorously analyze & interpret data, and efficiently move projects forward
· Identify challenges and seek input from colleagues and supervisor for solutions to diverse problems, and demonstrate motivation in pursuing scientific answers through thorough experimental planning
· Ability to work under minimal supervision, manage multiple projects, be pro-active, team- oriented and collaborative.
· Prior experience managing junior research associates
· Outstanding communication skills
· Knowledge of AAV molecular biology
· Experience with NGS and data analysis is preferred
Experience with mammalian promoter engineering is a plus