Microbiology Research Technician
Onsite at Montvale NJ
1+ Year contract with possibility of conversion.
Qualifications and experience:
- Conduct routine and complex tests on samples being responsible for Microbiome Management Science Platform, supporting virology and bacteriology workstreams
- Assist on development of instrumental protocols and laboratory methods for the preparation and analysis of biological samples derived from serum, dust, laundry, porous and non-porous materials, nasal respiratory swabs and others.
- Perform microscopical examination of the samples and document results using GLP guidelines. Perform quality control procedures and implementation of new equipment, such as qPCR, micro-plate readers, autoclave, bioanalyzer, maintain chemical and reagents logbooks for reagents, and write standard operating procedures (SOP).
- BS/MS in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field
- 2+ years (With BS degree), or no experience (with MS degree) of laboratory experience with focus on microbiology. This position requires to spend the majority of his/her time working onsite in the laboratory.
- Excellent bench skills with meticulous attention to detail and aseptic techniques, preparation of standard solutions, media, buffers, formulations etc.
- Experience culturing virus and bacteria from complex samples such as soil or feces is a plus.
- Experience in making formulations is not required but will be considered advantageous.
- Proficient in bacterial aerobic and anaerobic metabolism, testing and evaluation is desired but not required.
- Hands-on anaerobic culturing experience is desired but not required.
- Proficient in standard routine Microbiology / Virology practice, such as lab calculations, media preparation, maintaining cell lines, virus stocks, monitoring incubators in a timely manner for contamination. In addition, bacterial and fungal culturing knowledge would be a plus.
- Proficient in molecular biology techniques such as DNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, NGS DNA library prep and sequencing knowledge is desirable but not mandatory.
- Comfortable executing experimental design, data interpretation, and working with pathogenic microorganisms.
- Analytical, passion for problem solving and "making things work"
- Demonstrated independent thought and judgment in experimental design and analysis, method development and problem solving
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Team player with positive attitude and flexible hands-on approach