Senior/ Principal Scientist, Computational Biology
Affinia Therapeutics is an innovative gene therapy company focused on broadening the reach of gene therapy. Our proprietary Affinia Rationally-designed Therapies (ART) platform is created to address key limitations of conventional gene therapies, by developing novel capsids, novel promoters, and novel manufacturing approaches to developing gene therapies for rare and prevalent devastating diseases. We are backed by a strong syndicate of life science investors and have ambitious plans to have a dramatic impact on the lives of patients around the world.
As an early employee you will play a key role in setting our culture and values. You will be working alongside the founding management team who have a track record of success in the industry. The pace of work is dynamic, fast and fun. We offer competitive salary and benefits with the ability to make a difference.Position Summary
The Computational Science group is a core component of the entire discovery and development process at Affinia Therapeutics. We are looking for an accomplished, outgoing computational biologist to develop cutting edge multi-omics data analytical and knowledge integration strategy and tools specific to gene therapy. This position will report to the VP of computational science and work synergistically with scientists in the Vector Discovery and Translational Science groups to identify and design next generation AAV capsids by analyzing Affinia's proprietary barcoded AAV variant library data sets. Team members work together to straddle the lines between research, development, and support. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience, develop and make a difference in a dynamic, next-generation gene therapy environment.Primary Responsibilities
- Serve as a computational biology lead on discovery and development projects to design and execute appropriate informatics analysis strategies.
- Identify and internalize relevant external human and model organism multi-omics data (bulk and single cell) for deeper AAV biology understanding and novel AAV capsid engineering.
- Collaborate with experimental scientists and bioinformatic engineers to develop pipelines to automate data analysis.
- Develop bioinformatics analysis in scripting languages such as R/Python/shell scripting in a cloud environment.
- Interact and educate other research scientists to create a collaborative and enriching culture that most effectively supports the company's mission.
- Communicate scientifically rigorous findings via verbal and written communications, visualizations, and presentations.
- PhD in bioinformatics relevant fields (Computational Biology, Systems Biology, Biostatistics, Computer Science) with large biomedical data analysis experience.
- Level appropriate years of commensurate post-doctoral experience. biopharmaceutical preferred, with supporting cross functional research teams.
- Hands on experience with NGS (genetics, bulk or single cell RNAseq, proteomics) data analysis. ScRNAseq, scATACseq data analysis experience strongly preferred.
- Hands-on experience in complex network/pathway analysis and investigation of cell fate trajectories, cis-regulatory interactions, transcription factor regulons activity.
- Working knowledge of single cell RNAseq, single cell ATACseq datasets from Human Cell Atlas, dbGAP repository.
- Fluent in R or Python with expertise in statistical algorithm development.
- Demonstrated ability to summarize analytical results, derive interpretation from orthogonal line of evidences and recommend follow up actions to peer scientists.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute custom computational and statistical analysis plans leveraging novel algorithms and relevant databases and statistical theory.
- Strong communication skills, innate scientific curiosity and collaborative team spirit.
- Demonstrated proficiency in UNIX/LINUX/HPC GIT.
- Training or wet lab experience in molecular biology, biochemistry and protein engineering.
- Experience in AWS or similar cloud computing platform.
- Experience in in-vitro and/or in-vivo functional screen data analysis.
- Knowledge of AAV biology and gene therapy in general.
- Strong publication record.
Affinia Therapeutics is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.