Scientist I Structural Biology
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Division: Cancer Research Technology Program
Facility: ATRF: Other
Location: 8560 Progress Drive, Frederick, MD 21701 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Accountability, Compassion, Collaboration, Dedication, Integrity and Versatility; it's the FNL way.
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community and provides dedicated support to NCI's intramural Center for Cancer Research (CCR). The dedicated units provide expertise in electron microscopy, protein characterization, mass spectrometry, protein expression, optical microscopy and genomics. These research efforts are an integral part of CCR at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR), where CRTP scientists work collaboratively with intramural NCI investigators to provide research technologies and expertise.
* Sample preparation and grid optimization of challenging samples for single particle and tomography cryo-EM studies
* Process cryo-EM data using various available software packages
* Keep up to date with developments in the field, proposing and implementing changes as necessary and learning and applying new techniques where appropriate
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
* Possession of a PhD degree in biochemistry, biophysics or related field
* Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
* Experience in structural biology, with emphasis on cryo-EM
* Experience with model building programs
* Strong motivation and ability to learn and practice new concepts/tools/techniques
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team member
* This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
* This position is subject to working with radioactive material and requires to become an approved radiation worker
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
As directed by Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, effective December 8, 2021, Frederick National Laboratory (FNL) will require employees of Leidos Biomedical Research (LBR) and all newly hired employees before their start date, in the United States, to be fully vaccinated or have a qualified exemption.