POSITION: Faculty, Microbiology
STATUS: Full time Tenure track
DEPARTMENT: Natural Science/Physical Education
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on qualifications.
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education and related work experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude. Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities; demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open communications. Fifteen credit hours a semester constitute a standard load. Course assignments may be late afternoon, evening, Saturday, and at branch campuses or satellite centers. Teaching assignments could be any combination of face-to-face (day or evening), hybrid or online, and are subject to change as needed. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach at least three courses in Microbiology or other biology as needed.
2. Work closely with other instructors and special programs and services within the college to determine placements, curriculum, and academic support.
3. Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation, and planning activities.
4. Be willing to teach face-to-face, online and/or hybrid courses, as needed.
5. Participate in appropriate departmental meetings and recruitment activities; serve on committees.
6. Assist students with academic advising. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
7. Demonstrate strong understanding and commitment to the community college mission.
8. Teach at other campus sites as needed.
9. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
10. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
1. Master's Degree in Microbiology, or closely related field ((Virology, Bacteriology, Medical Microbiology, e.g.).
2. Two (2) years of teaching experience at the collegiate level.
1. PhD in Microbiology, or closely related field (Virology, Bacteriology, Medical Microbiology, e.g.).
2. Experience at the community college level.
3. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
4. Experience in teaching online and/or using course management programs.
5. Experience in course development and assessment, planning, quality and accreditation processes, and committee service.
6. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.
7. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
8. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
Normal classroom and laboratory physical demands.
Classroom and laboratory teaching environment.
PRORITY CONSIDERATION DATE
March 1, 2022
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):