If you care about the environment and want to do work that improves our planet, consider joining our team as an Environmental Field Geologist I! If you enjoy having a large variety of work in a fast-paced environment, check us out. For over 46 years, Bay West LLC (Bay West) has been a recognized leader delivering Environmental Solutions nation-wide and we're proud of our stellar safety programs and records. We're a unique mix of expertise & strong tenured employees in the following services: Environmental Consulting, Engineering, Emergency Response, and Waste Management for a mixed portfolio of Federal, State, Municipal, & Industrial/Commercial clients.
In this critical role, you'll safely and accurately collect field information that will help Bay West decide how to best protect the public and the environment from prior contamination. Our Environmental Field Geologists love the opportunity to explore a variety of sites the within U.S. Overtime pay is applicable to this role!Responsibilities:
- Provide general labor, technical and geological field support on various environmental site assessments; onsite investigations of contaminated soil, sediment and groundwater; construction observation; and preparation of drilling logs, geologic maps, cross-sections and technical reports.
- Observe drilling and monitoring well installation and classifying soil and bedrock samples. Collect soil, groundwater, and soil vapor samples for field screening and laboratory analysis.
- Accurately prepare soil boring logs, hydrographs, groundwater contour maps, field notes, sketches and other documentation of actions undertaken during site investigation and remediation projects.
- Supervise the correct installation of soil borings, monitoring wells, recovery wells (vapor phase and water) and treatment systems.
- Oversee the proper excavation of contaminated soil during remediation and construction projects.
- When not traveling, be available for one week every six to nine weeks to be part of an on-call Emergency Response (ER) team to clean-up hazardous and non-hazardous material spills, loading, unloading, and decontaminating ER equipment in an efficient and accurate manner. On-call requires that staff stay within one hour of the Bay West office and be prepared to respond 24-7. Additional compensation applies to ER on-call work.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external customers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Share in open communication with Team Leader on ways to improve Bay West techniques, operations, and functions.
- Bachelor's degree in Geology or related geoscience degree
- Thorough understanding of current groundwater and soil sampling methods
- Proficiency using Word and Excel applications
- Currently have or willing to obtain a 40 Hour HAZWOPER certification
- Reliable means of transportation on a 24-hour basis
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience supporting multiple projects on deadline while providing excellent customer service
- Superb problem-solving skills, time-management, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to champion changes and improvements
- Ability to travel up to 60% to support clients (MN based organizations / agencies as well as national Federal programs) for up to two weeks at a time
- Must possess valid driver's license
BAY WEST OFFERS A ROBUST BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDING
- Minimum 1-3 years of related environmental consulting experience including environmental drilling oversight
- Eligibility to obtain a Professional Geologist License in the future
- Experience with field equipment such as water quality monitoring instruments, photoionization detectors (PIDs), and global positioning systems (GPS) units
- Knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations and laws, including, but not limited to, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) cleanup guidance and United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Employer subsidized medical, health savings account and dental plan
- Employer paid vacation time, sick time, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Additional benefit options including 401(k) plan, vision coverage, supplemental life insurance, critical illness and accident coverage, dependent care and healthcare flexible spending accounts
- Support and encouragement to obtain additional credentials and certifications
- Culture that empowers all employees to stop a job - we walk the safety talk!
- Competitive wages and individual consideration as your expertise and responsibilities expand
- Business casual environment with great co-workers
Bay West is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. Bay West is an EEO/AA Employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer.