Weatherwax Biotechnologies is a seed-stage startup developing the next generation of induced-proximity medicines. Our OmniTAC drug discovery engine yields molecules that co-opt existing cellular machinery to overcome exigent therapeutic challenges which have remained unapproachable to other modalities for decades.
We are seeking first-rate chemical biologists to help us pioneer this uncharted frontier of drug discovery.
A long-standing challenge in drug discovery is the development of molecules capable of modulating difficult or "undruggable" targets. Disease-causing proteins can be dysfunctional in many different ways, but our armamentarium for fixing them is quite limited. The most common mechanism of action for FDA approved drugs is inhibition, but there are many other possible perturbation types whose potential remains unrealized.
Weatherwax Biotechnologies is a seed-stage drug discovery company developing a novel platform technology to solve this problem. We make bifunctional drugs that induce the modification of drug targets by co-opting existing cellular machinery (rather than through direct modulation by the drug, the classical approach).
Historically, the development of technologies that allow one to push new buttons in biology has been an incredibly fertile field for the discovery of new medicines, and our approach will be no different.The Position
We are seeking an experienced biophysicist/biochemist to be a founding member of our Platform Team. In this position you will work in close conjunction with our Biology Team in the development of our core drug discovery technology and the generation of a completely novel class of therapeutics.
Your responsibilities will include: biophysical or biochemical characterization of protein-protein and protein-small molecule interactions, designing and performing both low and high-throughput screening assays, managing compound libraries, performing mechanistic studies on lead drug molecules, developing novel discovery platforms/technologies for the discovery of next-gen induced proximity medicines, and spearheading forays into new disease areas.About YouHigh Agency.
Initiative, independence, and self-accountability are some of our most valued traits.Enthusiastic.
We love people who are excited about what they are doing, and are generally attempting to build a high-energy team.Intensity and Grit.
Early-stage startups are hard. Drug discovery doubly so. We are looking for candidates who have a demonstrated ability to stick with hard problems for the long haul, with a team that has your back along the way.Prosocial.
We are here to create life-saving medicines for the patients who need it most. You should be too.Qualifications & Proficiencies
- PhD in Chemical Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, or related field.
- Industry experience is desirable, but the ability to work hard and learn fast is more important to us.
- Deep understanding of small-molecule drug discovery and its relationship to human disease.
Nice to haves:
- Hit finding and hit-to-lead studies
- HTS and phenotypic assay development and screening
- Small molecule binding affinity assays
- PPI techniques e.g. BRET, APEX/BioID, AlphaScreen
- Platform development
- Compound management
- Disease model development
- Biochemical assay development
- Proteomics experience: PTM analysis, chemo-proteomic target deconvolution, etc
- Familiarity or experience with PROTAC technology
- Biophysical screening techniques such as SPR or fluorescence anisotropy
- DEL experience
- Experience with med-chem optimizations: SAR, PK/PD, etc
- Computational drug discovery experience
- Prior experience on teams that have successfully advanced research to the clinic
- Experience managing others
About UsWork Hard/Play Hard.
- Strong equity incentives. We are looking for candidates who will bring a strong sense of ownership to drive their project areas forward, and we believe that you deserve to be compensated accordingly.
- Top tier medical, dental, and vision coverage + One Medical membership.
- 401(k) retirement plans.
- Education and health/fitness incentive programs.
- Reading budget! We will buy you books ??
- Unlimited vacation days with four weeks recommended.
- Located in the MBC BioLabs Dogpatch site; an entrepreneurial hub full of the best scientists and operators the Bay Area has to offer. Our lab is a very short walk from the 22nd St Caltrain Station and a number of wonderful restaurants and cafés.
We believe time is our most valuable commodity, so we strive to create a culture that reflects this. We won't drag you through unnecessary meetings or email you at 7 PM on a Saturday. When we're at work we're there to get things done and when we're off we're really off.Strong Communication.
We like well-written documents over PowerPoints, OKRs over vague mission statements, and weekly one-on-ones over yearly reviews.Writing First.
We have a "writing-first" culture. We believe that clarity of writing reflects clarity of thinking, and that the benefits of well-written documentation in a scientific environment are innumerable: democratization of ideation and decision making, increased reproducibility, quicker scaling and onboarding, and better company-wide alignment, to name a few.Growth.
As an early-stage startup we value scientists with an independent, can-do attitude. The more hats you can wear, the better. Our job as employers is to put you in positive-feedback loops so you can grow in the direction of your choosing.
Title and compensation commensurate with experience. Applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds, women, and members of underrepresented minority groups are particularly welcomed. We look forward to hearing from you :)More info at jobs.weatherwax.bio