The Business Reporter will cover the business community in the thriving Crossroads area. This would include current businesses, new openings, business failures and new restaurants. We also expect coverage of industries in our region, including plastics, Caterpillar, real estate, development, agribusiness, and, with our energy/environmental reporter, the petrochemical industry in the region. Among issues now are the business response to COVID-19; climate change; and paths forward for clean energy in a carbon-based state.
Duties and Responsibilities
· To establish and build strong working relationships with business and civic leaders and officials.
· To establish and build strong working relationships with workers and union leaders and members.
· To be a watchdog.
· To know and understand business and development issues.
· To explore and write stories about specific issues as they arise.
· To know how to and be willing to file open records requests for documents.
· To be a positive influence in the newsroom and while in the public representing the Advocate.
· Attend and participate in weekly staff planning meetings.
· Write stories for special sections and quarterly magazine
· To do the best job you possibly can daily.
· To work with the photography staff to discuss and coordinate photos to go with stories
· To shoot videos to go with stories.
· To be honest, fair, transparent and respectful.
· Perform other various duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor's degree in journalism related field.
· At least 1 year of experience, an internship is valid.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with.
· Strong computer skills with PCs.
· Proficiency with Blox CMS.
· Ability to read, write, and speak English; bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
· The employee possesses the ability to fulfill any and all office activities normally expected in an office setting, to include, but not limited to: remaining seated for periods of time to conduct interviews, write stories, do research and some lifting of PCs and other equipment may be required.
· May have to climb stairs.
· Overtime may be needed periodically
· The individual possesses fine hand manipulation (keyboarding) skills.
· This position mostly in the office and at interview locations.
· The noise level is usually moderate.
· This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as a computer, phone, printer/scanner, and filing cabinets.
· Some travel may be necessary.