The Born Free Primate Sanctuary's aim is to provide nonhuman primates a lifelong home and a high standard of care without being needlessly intrusive. The 186-acre sanctuary, located 90 miles south of San Antonio, Texas, is home to over 500 monkeys, many of whom were rescued from abusive or exploitative situations. The focus of animal care is to provide conditions in which the captive populations of macaques, baboons, and vervets are allowed to live out the remainder of their lives with extensive freedom of movement, choice of food, and choice of companions, in accordance with their social nature. The sanctuary is not open to the public and we do not display animals for educational or entertainment purposes.
Born Free's mission is to end the suffering of wild animals in captivity, rescue individual animals in need, protect wildlife - including endangered species - in their natural habitats, and encourage compassionate conservation globally. Inspired by the iconic film Born Free, we work locally, nationally and internationally to end wild animal cruelty and suffering, protect threatened wildlife, and keep wildlife in the wild where they rightfully belong.
We are seeking a full-time caregiver to join our sanctuary team. Tasks include:
1. Participate in the daily care of all animals including, but not limited to:
• Clean habitats
• Empty, clean and re-fill water troughs
• Prepare and distribute food
• Report any animal showing signs of ill health or injury to management
• Dispense medications and medical treatments
• Maintain written log entries
2. Perform grounds and enclosure maintenance work as required:
• Trim/mow vegetation around the Sanctuary to keep paths and other areas clear
• Assist with construction projects such as building shelters, etc.
3. Make and distribute enrichment.
4. Help with the weekly delivery of fresh produce, dry feed, hay & other deliveries by unloading and stacking supplies.
5. Other duties as requiredQualifications/Experience/Skills: Essential:
• Must be fluent in English, both written and verbal.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs, and conduct other kinds of physical work.
• Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including 100 degree + weather.
• Must have permission to work in the United States in place at the time of application.Desirable:
• Experience working in an animal sanctuary or similar work environment.
• Vet tech skills.
- Familiarity with exotics and/or wildlife.
- College degree in zoology, biology, primatology, anthropology, conservation, animal behavior or related field
• Equivalent on-the-job experience in animal care in lieu of degree. Personal Specification:
• Respect for, and commitment to, the sanctuary and parent organization's aims, objectives and ethos.
• A demonstrable commitment to animal welfare.
• The ability to work calmly around animals in a respectful and humane manner.
• Willingness to work various shifts including weekends and holidays.
• Commitment to follow all safety procedures and animal care protocols.
• Willingness to move to a small, rural community.
• Willingness to live onsite at the sanctuary in accommodation provided.
• Ability to interact positively and work with people from different backgrounds, cultures, or personalities.
Prior experience working with primates is not essential - all new employees are fully trained by our expert team.Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary is $12.00 per hour. We also offer health insurance, paid time off, and a 401(K) plan with employer matching. Free on-site housing is provided if available. Full training provided.Application Deadline:
Open until suitable candidate is hired.How to Apply:
Please send the completed application form and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.Download application form at:
Cover letter should include:
• What attracted you to the role and what you feel you could bring to the sanctuary if successful.
• How you feel your views align with those of Born Free USA, in particular relating to: Zoos, Exotic Pet Trade and Animal use in research.
• Details on how you feel you meet the Qualifications/Experience and Skills requirements and the Person Specification.
• Details of any specific experience of working with primates (including, but not limited to, group management techniques and practices, whether open/closed contact environment, medication administration, enrichment, rescue and rehab etc.)
• Any other details you would like to share with us that you would like us to take into consideration.Additional Information:
Background check will be conducted following acceptance of employment offer. Newly hired employees must provide proof of a negative TB test taken within the last 12 months.
Liz Tyson Sanctuary
PO Box 25 Dilley, TX 78017
Telephone Number: 830-965-2813
E-mail Address: email@example.comDownload Application Form at: