Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link
Cambridge, MA, US, 02142
For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about. Job Summary
We are seeking an Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
for our Insourcing Solutions Department
located in Cambridge, MA
Responsible for managing the Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Program for adherence to local, state, and federal regulations at Charles River Accelerator & Development Labs (CRADL) facilities. Assist in program development unique to CRADL facilities, staff and client needs and participate in growing site expansion portfolio for the CRADL business.
The following are responsibilities relate to the Environmental Health & Safety Specialist:
- Establish, administer, and update specific EH&S programs for compliance with state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT) and other regulations as necessary. Manage OSHA and EPA records and maintain reporting and documentation standards.
- Inspect the facilities for compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations as applicable. Recommend solutions to management that address deficiencies in EH&S compliance.
- Oversee maintenance of group training manual, in-person training, and training records for CRADL clients and staff.
- Develop and ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices, and procedures (SOPs, safety procedures, biosafety protocols, biohazard, and medical waste).
- Serve as an EHS pre-reviewer for all CRADL IACUC protocols.
- Assist in CRADL AAALAC Accreditation process for all existing and new sites.
- Available to clients and federal and state investigators to explain procedures and produce written documentation as proof of compliance.
- Manage and maintain necessary facility permit, licenses, and compliance reports to federal, local, and state regulatory authorities for all CRADL sites and ensure new sites are permitted and in compliance appropriate for the region.
The following are minimum qualifications related to the position Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
- Education: Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, or related discipline. .
- Experience: Minimum of four (4) years related experience in Environmental Health & Safety. Experience supporting laboratory animal facilities preferred. Experience in multiple state regulations, including California, preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None
- Other: Subject matter expertise in relevant EHS regulation, principles, biosafety, and related equipment safeguards. Strong technical knowledge and solves practical worker health, safety, and environmental problems. Independently identify, analyze, and solve complex EHS technical problems. Ability to investigate and solves problems using advanced industrial hygiene and safety engineering techniques. Ability to independently assess biosafety risks and programs and sensitively communicate/collaborate with line management on appropriate risk measures. Ability to adapt and respond timely to the needs of a fasted paced growing organization and client needs to ensure that excellent customer service is always provided. Ability to effectively follow verbal and written instructions and exhibit interpersonal skills that are conducive to effective communication and that contribute to a congenial work environment. Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner with coworkers, research staff, and managers. Strong organization skills and attention to detail. Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Office, word processing and database record keeping required.
Charles River is a U.S. Federal Contractor. As a result, we must follow the Presidential Executive Order to mandate vaccinations, and ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Our main priority is the wellbeing, health, and safety of our people. We require proof of vaccination from all employees.
Anyone with requests for disability-related and/or religious exemptions should contact Talent Acquisition (crrecruitment_US@crl.com) so that information can be provided about the accommodation process at Charles River. About Insourcing Solutions
Charles River Insourcing Solutions℠ can streamline research by delivering operational and cost efficiencies through the strategic insourcing of GMP, GLP and non-GLP research services from discovery through safety assessment. Insourcing Solutions℠ provides you with the ability to maintain control of your facility and expertise while leveraging available space. About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 18,000 employees within 100 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of >80% of the drugs approved by the FDA for the past 3 years. Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com. Nearest Major Market:
CambridgeNearest Secondary Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Safety, Biotech, Engineer, Pharmaceutical, Service, Science, Engineering, Research