At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative Principal Scientist to be part of the Oncology Discovery Pharmacology and In Vivo Biology Group at the Mechanisms of Cancer Resistance Thematic Research Center at Bristol-Myers Squibb in Cambridge, MA. The candidate will aide in the discovery and advancement of novel therapeutics for the treatment of cancer leveraging both cancer intrinsic and immune intrinsic biology.
The qualified candidate will possess the ability to work across a highly matrixed environment to advance drug discovery programs from hit to lead identification/lead optimization to IND enabling activities and ultimately to Proof of Concept in patients. The candidate will be responsible for developing and executing in vivo strategies using a wide range of animal models including syngeneic, GEMM, CDX, and PDX tumor models. The candidate will lead in vivo pharmacology efforts in multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams and will be expected to work seamlessly with colleagues across BMS Thematic Research Centers and collaborators in medicinal chemistry, MAP/DMPK, preclinical safety, translational research, and early clinical development. The successful candidate will also be expected to leverage his/her experience and skills to train and manage a small team of research scientists. Job Qualifications and Requirements
Job Responsibilities include
- PhD in cancer biology with at least 4 years of relevant industry experience and demonstrated expertise in cancer biology and oncogenic signaling pathways.
- Industry experience with demonstrated ability developing focused in vivo strategies and utilizing PK/PD/efficacy data to drive small molecule lead optimization & characterization as well as translational strategies to enable early clinical development is required.
- Experience in using various cell line xenograft, PDX and syngeneic mouse models is desired.
- Demonstrated expertise in ex vivo pharmacodynamic assays including qPCR, quantigene, MSD/ELISA and flow cytometry.
- The ability to manage a small laboratory group is expected, including providing growth and development opportunities for direct reports.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with internal and external colleagues is required.
- Competitive candidates are expected to have a strong track record of independent and innovative research as evidenced by publications in top tier peer-reviewed journals.
- Function as Pharmacology lead for multiple drug discovery programs . Working closely with project teams and key stakeholders, lead the development of in vivo strategies from target concept to Proof of Concept in patients, including target validation, lead optimization & characterization, and development of translational strategies.
- Develop novel animal models that more closely mimic human cancer to enable the discovery of novel biology, answer mechanistic questions and screen/profile drug candidates.
- Work closely with colleagues in Translational Research and Early Clinical Development to establish biomarker strategies and to develop preclinical data sets to inform patient stratification and rational combination strategies for novel therapeutics.
- Serve as oncology biology and drug discovery expert on external collaborations and alliances.
- Manage and provide mentorship to direct reports, research scientists and associates in the team.
- Work as a member of a diverse and motivated team of researchers from across Discovery Oncology and key internal and external collaborators.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com . Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.