At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.Position Summary
We are seeking an experienced Principal Scientist who will work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary matrixed team within our Lawrenceville, N.J. Discovery Toxicology organization to generate and interpret data from in vitro and in vivo studies supporting nonclinical safety assessment. The successful candidate will engage in investigative studies that support early toxicity and teratogenicity assessment, as well as studies supporting mechanistic investigations and early biomarker identification for programs in a wide variety of therapeutic areas. This individual will conduct experimental work, analyze data and report results of compounds in the Discovery pipeline to provide early assessment of toxicity or teratogenic liabilities, identification of pharmacodynamic or toxicity biomarkers, as well as inform on potential mechanisms of toxicity/teratogenicity. State-of-the-art cell culture, molecular biology and flow cytometry experience is required and experience working with developmental model systems, gain-/loss-of-function approaches are highly desirable. Educational and research background in toxicology, cell or developmental biology or a related field is required.Key Responsibilities
Qualifications and Experience
- Evaluate toxicity and teratogenic liability assessments for early Discovery candidates including literature based assessments, design and execution of investigative studies and reporting of these assessments.
- Apply molecular biology and flow cytometry expertise to develop and optimize assays for evaluating toxicity endpoints and Bio- / pharmacodynamic (PD) markers associated with investigative safety assessments and issue resolution.
- Apply approaches for functional assessment of drug targets or suspect off-targets such as siRNA, antisense oligonucleotides and/or CRISPR
- Apply expertise above with expertise in in vitro cellular and developmental model systems to conduct investigative mechanistic studies to characterize on- or off- target liabilities and other MOA to support discovery programs.
- Apply multifaceted data analysis including use of specialized data analysis software for flow cytometry and gene or protein expression data.
- Study direct, execute and report in vitro or in vivo studies evaluating toxicity or teratogenicity.
- Author internal reports and manuscripts associated with exploratory/investigative activities in scientific journals, present research work internally and at external conferences.
- Responsible for maintaining excellent documentation of laboratory procedures and recording of data in compliance with standards defined by BMS corporate notebook policies and procedures.
- Create an atmosphere of scientific excellence, open communication, and creativity in order to maximize productivity.
- Masters and 3-5 years practical laboratory experience OR Bachelors and 5-10 years practical laboratory experience.
- Hands-on experience with various analytical techniques such as Flow Cytometry, ELISA and PCR.
- Hands-on experience in cell culture methods including maintaining cell lines and primary cell isolation and culture.
- Advanced ability to create and completely understand, follow, interpret and apply SOPs for various in vitro assays
- Advanced scientific writing and presentation skills including statistical analysis, data analysis and graphing, data presentation.
- Advanced problem-solving ability/mentality, technically adept and logical.
- Ability to represent the interests of the group on cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work independently in a high-paced team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work from multiple projects.
- Advanced ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with peers, department management and cross-functional peers.
- Strong track record in large and/or small companies, contributing to innovative efforts within the laboratory setting to achieve defined goals and support clinical development, expertise in regulated environments & with clinical/diagnostic testing procedures is required
- Strong expertise in flow cytometry is a must, including design and validation of novel multicolor panels, staining and analyzing diverse types of samples, as well as data analysis using flowjo, FCS Express or similar. Expertise using different types of BD cytometers and running high dimensional flow panels is required.
- Additional technical skills required include blood processing, tissue processing, protein analyses including ELISA and Luminex
- Demonstrated competency in understanding the drug Discovery and Development process with at least 3 years of Pharmaceutical and/or Biotechnology experience.
- Experience in advanced microscopy imaging systems and software, such as confocal microscopy and/or image analysis software.
- Experienced in target deconvolution applications such as siRNA or CRISPR including molecular activities and delivery approaches such as microinjection.
- Experience in using developmental model systems including microdissection techniques and general preparation of embryos for in vitro culture as well as experience in morphological assessment of embryos for malformations.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.