Scientist / Senior Scientist* Discovery Biology at Septerna
Septerna is an early-stage biotechnology company with a vision to become the industry-leading G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR)-focused R&D company with a portfolio of life-changing medicines. The company's Native Complex™ Platform recapitulates GPCRs with their native structure, function, and dynamics outside of the cellular environment to enable new technologies for industrial-scale drug discovery for the entire GPCR target class for the first time. Septerna has an emerging pipeline of GPCR-targeted small molecule drug discovery programs, along with growth potential to reach many GPCRs that have been undruggable and unexploited to date. Septerna was launched by scientific founders who have made groundbreaking GPCR discoveries and by founding investor Third Rock Ventures. For more information see: www.septerna.com .
Join a multidisciplinary team of colleagues focused on creating revolutionary medicines to address significant needs of patients. Bring your real self to work every day; grow and learn from a talented team of drug hunters, scientists, and business professionals; and contribute your passion, creativity, and energy to our mission. At Septerna we embrace diversity of thought, expertise, and background; we share a fearless pursuit of ground-breaking innovations; and our employees learn from each other and succeed as a team.
We are seeking an experienced Scientist/Senior Scientist* who will leverage their expertise in molecular pharmacology towards contributing to and building a world-class Discovery Biology team that is central to the advancement of our company's GPCR drug discovery portfolio and unique platform. This individual will work collaboratively within our integrated drug discovery project teams of Biochemists, Pharmacologists, and Chemists to drive major aspects of the company's in vitro pharmacology efforts. Exceptional collaboration skills will be critical to successfully work with our internal and external teams and to help shape the future direction and structure of the department.
The successful candidate will be a key contributor within our R&D organization, helping to build a world-class in vitro pharmacology group that will be an essential component in the company's drug discovery operation. Working with other experienced Molecular Pharmacologists, drug hunters, and our world-renowned scientific founders, you will have the opportunity to take an ownership stake in defining the processes and philosophies that in vitro pharmacology can bring to a rapidly growing GPCR-focused drug discovery company.
*Title commensurate with experience
This position requires a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Pharmacology or a related scientific discipline and at least 2+ years of experience for Scientists and 5+ years' experience for Senior Scientists ideally in a biotech or pharmaceutical setting, working in matrixed drug discovery project teams applying molecular pharmacology concepts. The successful candidate will have hands-on experience performing plate-based in vitro pharmacological experiments on integral membrane proteins to guide SAR and characterize mechanism of action. The candidate will also develop strategies and oversee activities to identify novel chemical starting points using our state-of-the-art discovery platform that best leverages the company's unique pharmacological insights. Experience with both cell-based and biochemical assays is strongly desired.
• Demonstrated success in defining, developing, and executing in vitro pharmacological assays necessary to inform Structure-Activity Relationships for small molecule compounds
• Demonstrated expertise to pharmacologically characterize the mechanism of action of hits, leads and candidate compounds and apply rigorous data analysis techniques for quantification
• Experience working in cross-functional project teams, and a track record of successful collaboration with teams at contract research organizations and academic laboratories
• Utilization of automation and liquid handlers and familiarity with High-Throughput Screening and hit identification techniques is strongly desired
• Experience in GPCR molecular pharmacology is a plus
• Outstanding communication skills with demonstrated ability to make effective presentations in a broad range of settings, and strong collaboration, leadership, and organizational skills
• The successful candidate will be motivated to discover new disease-modifying therapeutics for patients and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic team environment
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. The company will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.
29 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116
P (617) 585-2000