At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference. Job Description
We seek a collaborative and innovative computational scientist to join the Predictive Sciences team in San Diego and contribute to development of transformative therapies in cancer and hematological malignancies.
Working alongside Research & Early Development colleagues in the Oncogenesis Thematic Research Center and global Informatics and Predictive Sciences teams, the successful applicant will play a key role in leveraging predictive models and innovative computational research strategies to understand therapeutic mechanisms of action with particular focus on protein degradation.
This role offers the opportunity to directly impact origination and development of novel therapies in key diseases of unmet medical need and will involve broad exposure to diverse clinical and analytical research challenges. The successful candidate will contribute to design and lead analysis of molecular profiling experiments for target validation, mechanism of action and biomarker identification using both preclinical and clinical datasets. Strong interest in the inter-disciplinary application of computational research to the life sciences is imperative. Responsibilities
Background experience & complementary knowledge
- Collaborate as a member of cross-functional teams to design and execute genomics and other high-throughput experiments to elucidate compound mechanisms of action, formulate sensitivity enrichment hypothesis, and prioritize combinations.
- Develop and apply leading-edge computational analysis and biological interpretation approaches to integrate internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven decisions across drug discovery programs.
- Participate in early development of novel therapies and leverage disease stratification efforts to accelerate patient selection hypotheses ahead of clinical application.
- Integrate analysis and results across assay platforms and transfer knowledge from pre-clinical experiments to clinical trials.
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results, and conclusions to publishable standard.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Ph.D. in computational biology, bioinformatics, biostatistics, or related field from a recognized higher-education establishment.
- 2+ years of post-doctoral experience in applying quantitative approaches to solve biological problems in university, hospital, pharma, or biotech research environments.
- Extensive experience with analysis of genomics data. Experience working with disease models and patient data in a drug development setting and background in oncology preferred.
- Strong statistical background with demonstrated ability to derive insights from high-dimensional data.
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming, and data manipulation, using, e.g., R/Bioconductor, Python and contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and databases.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in top-tier scientific journals.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and strong attention to detail.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature, and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com . Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.