NOAA requires contractor support within the Environmental Chemistry (EC) Program of the Environmental and Fisheries Science (EFS) Division. The EC program conducts innovative research on the chemical processes that affect the health and ecology of aquatic animals, including the monitoring of man-made contaminants and naturally occurring components in marine food webs. These activities primarily support NOAA Fisheries objectives for Protected Resources, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, Fisheries Ecosystem-based Management, and for advancement of Science and Technology.
The candidate will conduct laboratory analyses of killer whale and prey tissues using bulk and compound specific stable isotopes, perform statistical analyzes of this data, deliver updates of their work to the NMFS Project Leader on a weekly basis, present findings of this research to relevant management agencies and at scientific conferences, and produce scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.This is a full time position in Seattle, WA.Duties Include:
Additional required qualifications include:
- Conduct bulk and compound specific stable isotope analyses of killer whale and prey tissues to a) develop mathematical relationships of isotopic fractionation, which is the enrichment of one isotope relative to another due to digestive processes, b) quantify turnover time, that is the time it takes for a change in diet to be reflected isotopically, in each killer whale tissue, and c) characterize recent and long-term patterns of diet composition and trophic position of Southern Resident killer whales.
- Process samples after lab protocols and safety training; perform analysis and quantification of bulk and compound specific stable isotopes after training on Isotope-ratio mass spectrometry methods; follow quality assurance and quality control guidelines; record metadata and individual sample data and maintain/update master data spreadsheets and code on a weekly basis; archive samples and backup data after training from NOAA personnel.
- Monitor laboratory supply levels & notify the project lead when supplies need to be ordered; maintain lab equipment to working order; maintain safe chemical hygiene practices; & adhere to laboratory safe practices
About IBSS Corp
- Ph.D. degree in analytical chemistry or closely related field of study from an accredited college or university.
- Expertise with stable isotope analysis especially compound specific stable isotope analysis.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: isotope-ratio mass spectrometry, coding in R, application of mixing models.
- Demonstrated experience working with large data sets.
- A documented product such as authorship of a peer-reviewed publication and/or report.
- Demonstrated ability to give oral presentations such as conference presentations (oral and/or poster) or other public presentations.
- At least two (2) years of analytical chemistry experience.
- Additional preferred qualifications include:
- At least one (1) year of experience using isotope-ratio mass spectrometry for stable isotope analyses.
- At least one (1) year of experience using R statistical software
IBSS is a Woman-Owned business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional and technical, scientific, cybersecurity, Information Technology (IT), and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, matching 401K plan, tuition/training reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.