The American Public Power Association is looking for a Manager, Environmental Policy
to provide regulatory, advocacy, technical, and compliance assistance information to APPA members and staff on federal environmental policies, proposals, and programs related to air, solid waste, and water. The Manager, Environmental Policy will interact regularly with the Director, Environmental Policy, APPA members, and partners in the environmental policy community. For priority environmental issues, the candidate will coordinate and collaborate with key internal and external audiences.Please note: This is not a remote position. Candidates must be in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. APPA offers a flexible work schedule for full-time employees, and the option for telework is available after six (6) months of employment (with supervisor approval). The position's duties include, but are not limited to:
The ideal candidate must have:
- Analyzing environmental rulemakings and preparing responses to EPA and other agencies as appropriate in consultation and coordination with APPA members.
- Developing and implementing appropriate advocacy programs to advance APPA's interests in environmental regulation in coordination with APPA members, allied organizations, and others.
- Maintaining liaison relationships with staff of relevant federal agencies (including EPA, OMB, SBA, DOE, and DOI).
- Advocates APPA positions through regular engagement, including developing and submitting comments, on the regulatory and judicial activities related to area(s) of responsibility.
- Participating in technical programs on emerging topics for APPA workshops and conferences, including APPA's National Conference, other conferences and workshops, and utility education courses.
- Advising APPA's legislative and other staff on the impacts of existing and proposed federal legislation and government agency actions in the environmental field, and assisting them in the preparation of comments, testimony, briefings, and related activities.
- Contributing consistently to the APPA outreach resources such as the Environmental Update, Issue Briefs, Public Power Daily, and the Public Power Magazine and similar resources that may be developed to keep APPA members and staff informed about activities relating to environmental policy issues.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume.
- Degree from a 4-year college or university (Engineering, Environmental Studies, or related discipline preferred).
- Five (5) years of environmental regulatory policy experience.
- Knowledge of the electric utility industry (and public power in particular), U.S. Government and regulations including the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act requirements, and other related federal statutes.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a diverse membership, regulatory agencies, employees and/or suppliers in a clear and precise manner to include developing comment packages to regulatory agencies, testimony, and briefing papers.
- Ability to be persuasive, negotiate, and collaborate with individuals at all levels throughout the organization and with outside groups.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to achieve advocacy goals for the members.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment to build consensus and gain agreement on a plan of action.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office tools (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) in the day-to-day essential duties of the job as demonstrated by prior work experience.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
American Public Power Association is an equal opportunity employer.