Battelle delivers when others can't. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients-whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We are currently seeking a Demil Specialist
. This position is in Pueblo, CO
Provides oversight and support in the area of Environmental Compliance to Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (PCAPP) personnel during all phases of the project. Performs technical work and mentors the Environmental Compliance Representative's (ECR's) technical activities and performance associated with required monitoring and inspections. May prepare and revise project forms and procedures. Demonstrates ability to multi-task by conducting environmental compliance surveillances and inspections, as a primary function while coordinating compliance issues with project staff and managers.MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Performs environmental compliance inspections, surveys, assessments, or investigations during facility systemization, operations, and closure to ensure compliance with environmental laws, permits, and site requirements. Understands environmental compliance plans, specifications, modifications, RCRA Permit, and operating procedures for a Chemical Weapons destruction and disposal facility and how they are related to Federal, State, and Local environmental laws and regulations, as well as U.S. Army regulations associated with the handling and destruction of chemical warfare munitions for the purpose of verifying compliance with regulations and requirements.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of policies, plans and procedures to demonstrate compliance with the regulatory requirements based on environmental statutes, regulations, and permit conditions; understands and/or assesses applicability of these requirements to a chemical demilitarization facility.
- Trains Environmental Compliance Representatives (ECR) on day-to-day duties and responsibilities.
- Reviews and approves routine inspection reports and processes of the environmental compliance group. Develops, prepares and communicates project reports in specified timeline, including the Daily Report to the Environmental Manager. Prepares and delivers correspondence, technical reports, and presentations. May assist in the preparation of periodic and ad hoc summaries, analysis, and reports of environmental and sustainability programs.
- Provides technical assistance to plant construction, systemization, and operations personnel and managers based on knowledge and understanding of referenced standards, RCRA permit, regulatory requirements, and pertinent standards.
- Utilizes basic knowledge of construction, the ability to read and understand plans and specifications, the ability to recognize deviations from plans and how they might impact environmental compliance, and the ability to observe operating and maintenance practices and determine compliance with procedures and standards.
Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as engineering or environmental sciences (e.g., biology or chemistry) or equivalent work/training experience.
3-5 years trained and experienced in multiple environmental compliance disciplines, such as air quality, water quality, hazardous waste management, pollution prevention, and environmental cleanup or two years of direct experience in environmental compliance issues in multiple environmental disciplines associated with the construction, systemization, or operations of a chemical demilitarization facility; experience applying environmental compliance within the context of an Environmental Management System or a similar State environmental permit review process.
The candidate must have proven technical writing skills on scientific documentation or environmental studies involving compliance with environmental regulations and must be able to communicate verbally and relay technical information and ideas. The ability to critically review and provide meaningful comments and edits to technical documents is essential. Proven technical writing is required, as is demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of software.Additional selection and retention criteria will include:
- Must be a US Citizen. The applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet and maintain eligibility requirements to be placed in a Public Trust Position. In addition, applicant selected will be subject to qualification in accordance with Army Regulation 50-6, for placement in the U.S. Army Chemical personnel Reliability Program (CPRP).
- Interact effectively with government and contractor personnel thru written correspondence or verbal communication.
- Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities. This position may be required to work a schedule of rotating shifts (8-12 hours nominally), including weekends and holidays.
- Drug-free workplace; urine testing for drugs are mandatory.
- This position involves work near or with toxic and hazardous materials and requires ability to wear protective clothing/mask. Must be clean-shaven; must wear seat belts when driving or riding in vehicles on post.
- Work requires outdoor, as well as indoor and office, exposures in all weather conditions; requires the ability to wear an air purifying respirator; requires the ability to climb ladders and stairs, walk on uneven surfaces, and make observations in bright and low light conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.SALARY
Salary: $75,000 - $80,000 a year
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.Battelle Benefits
Battelle's benefits program supports employees so they can be at their best at home and at work. It's a comprehensive package including:
- A benefits concierge service to help you understand and use your benefits
- Paid parental leave and family formation support
- A holistic wellness community and employee assistance program offering physical, mental, financial, legal and family support
In compliance with President Biden's Executive Order 14042 and the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force COVID-19 Workplace Safety: Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors, Battelle requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and continued employment and to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated. Battelle will provide reasonable accommodations based on a qualified disability or medical condition through the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act or for a sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and related state laws).
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Battelle is an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers