Terviva is a food and agriculture company committed to transforming the food and agriculture industry by making food production more accessible and equitable to farmers, and more sustainable for our communities and our planet.
We do this by cultivating a non-GMO, sustainable tree crop called Pongamia that produces beans with dramatically higher yields than other oilseed crops. Through extensive R&D, we have developed our proprietary bean processing technology that enables us to produce tasty and nourishing pongamia-based oil and protein food ingredients.
Our Pongamia trees not only produce beans for sustainable food ingredients; they also restore farmland to productive use, helping farmers feed people while taking care of the planet.
We value diversity of thought, culture and biology. We strive towards diversity and inclusion as an essential part of who we are. We recruit teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know our diversity makes us stronger.
Learn more at Terviva.comOverview:
Growing trees for the purposes of orchard establishment is a perfect balance between art and science. An ideal Tree Grower of our Pongamia trees will be a visionary who will employ experience and knowledge of tree physiology to grow trees that will be ideal in form and character that is suitable to plant in the field with the goal of establishing a successful fruit bearing orchard.
The Tree Grower will manage all nursery operations activities such as propagation, tree growth, maintenance and weather protection. The Tree Grower will have strong collaborations with the Inventory department and the IPM department to produce and maintain an inventory that is accurate at all times and free of pests and diseases. Terviva is partnering with farmers to plant a million trees to feed billions of people, and the Tree Grower will be an indispensable member of the Terviva Team in accomplishing this goal.Job Responsibilities:
Skills, Competencies & Experience
- Perform all duties related to growing a tree from start to finish, incorporating the best industry knowledge and standards.
- Manages all nursery staff in the growing, care, and maintenance of all trees that come under his / her responsibility.
- Manage product specifications that meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Responsible for the management of the growing environment utilizing environmental control systems to produce a superior crop.
- Adhere to all established protocols to maintain the varietal integrity of the plants during large scale propagation.
- Responsible for all fertilization management to the assigned crops.
Education & Background
- Extensive knowledge and experience in propagating trees using propagation methods such as grafting and rooted cuttings.
- Extensive knowledge in growing trees in containers, in greenhouses, and as bare-root tree crop in nursery beds.
- Extensive knowledge and practical understanding of tree growth media and fertilizers.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the art of tree pruning methods to attain desirable tree form in the nursery and field.
- Five years greenhouse and field production experience.
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in the disciplines of Agriculture, Horticulture, or Tree Production.
Working at Terviva offers you:
- The candidate must be bilingual in both English and Spanish.
COVID-19 Recruiting Process in Place:
- The opportunity to make a difference in a fast-growing, mission-driven company that makes an impact on sustainability, climate change and inequality by planting millions of trees to feed billions of people!
- Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
- Potential annual bonus.
- Stock options, commensurate with role and experience.
- Medical and dental, vision and life insurance (employee premium fully paid by Terviva.)
- Generous leave package.
- Remote interview process will be followed.
- Personal protective equipment will be provided according to current safety guidelines
- Temperature screenings will be required for all in-person interviews
- Social distancing guidelines will be implemented.
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures are in place.
- Terviva requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before reporting for work.
To apply, please respond to the company position below.
Please include your resume and a cover letter telling us about yourself, your experience and why you are well suited for this job with Terviva.
Terviva is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status or characteristic. Our leadership team is dedicated to this policy and all employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit and business need.