Microbiology Laboratory Director responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supports Eurofins Donor & Product Testing business philosophy, leadership values and ethics
- All employees are expected to meet basic expectations of DPT's quality management system, including, but not limited to good workmanship, adherence to standard operational procedures, training, good documentation practices, accurate recordkeeping so the company may meet its stated quality policy and objectives.
- Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Director of Microbiology is responsible for the oversight of all Microbiology testing and staff. This position requires leadership and management experience to ensure the smooth operation of the large department and expanse of testing. The Director is expected to be a highly collaborative team player and leader.
- The Director is responsible for managing the Department Managers to ensure timely delivery of quality test results, will interact with customers, provide strong technical leadership and collaborate effectively across groups within the organization.
- Oversees and directs DPT Microbiology Department Management.
- Owner of Key performance Indicators for Microbiology Department. Critical review of KPIs to drive proposals for efficiencies to affect growth. Critically reviews laboratory key performance indicators/quality assurance indicators/reactive rates.
- Ensure adherence to regulatory standards and safety requirements. Understand and stay updated on regulatory requirements for the industries we service (i.e. CLIA, FDA, TGA, etc.).
- Stays abreast on all Quality Event Management items (complaints, deviations and corrected reports, SCARs, CAPAs). Directs department managers to identify process improvements to better meet client expectations and company objectives.
- Understand all audit findings and oversee corrections that work for the ensure company, not just one department or location.
- Promote innovation, teamwork, and positive energy across the company.
- Oversight of laboratory reports
- Critical evaluation of SOPs as it pertains to Microbiology Testing. Collaborates with Laboratory Directors, as needed, when critical changes are required.
- Build and maintains relationships with Director of Business Development and Account Executives to make decisions regarding operational activities and goals.
- Directs the day-to-day operation of the laboratory to insure smooth flow of samples and testing.
- Provides leadership, mentoring and professional development opportunities for the scientific operations and management team.
- Implements policies and procedures that will improve day-to-day operations.
- Hires, coaches, reviews, manage, and terminate assigned staff. Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy. Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Participates in the hiring and training of managers, supervisors and leads.
- Oversees the Microbiology management team to ensure scheduling of laboratory staff is sufficient to meet production schedules. Ability to change laboratory schedules as workflow permits based on business needs.
- Critically evaluates staff overtime reports to determine staff efficiency in conjunction with automation evaluation in order to plan for future growth.
- Counsels Microbiology management with regard to problems encountered in daily operations.
- Communicates and explains new directives, policies, or procedures to managers; for major changes, meets with entire operations staff to explain changes, answer questions, and maintain morale.
- Develop long-term operational strategies to meet the company's set objectives.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with applicable accrediting and regulatory agencies, administrative officials, and the medical community.
- Promote a safe laboratory environment for personnel and the public.
- Reports critical information to Laboratory Directors and Executive Team, as needed.
- Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for the company's vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve company goals.
- Evaluate automation of current and new testing platforms based on the needs and capacity of the department.
- Plan and have oversight of the implementation of new instrumentation to increase efficiency of laboratory processes.
- Recommends new technology/equipment for the laboratory and works within DPT's budget cycle.
- Collaborates with Managers to dream, design and implement new processes to drive efficiencies in the areas of pre-, analytical and post-analytical test phases.
- Analysis and recommendation of streamlined processes and procedures for lab efficiency.
- Scheduled attendance of scientific expositions or conferences to explore and evaluate new and upcoming laboratory technology.
- Monitors laboratory expenditures as needed.
- Tracking of revenue margins and conducts budget reviews with Director of Finance.
- Establishes quantitative financial metrics by which the laboratories efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated; identifies opportunities for improvement (Consumables/personnel as a % of revenue).
- Continuous staffing model assessment and oversight of headcount for the Microbiology department. Prepares justifications for head count additions.
- Develop and execute new growth directives.
- Develop operational policies and procedures and to prioritize the roll-out of various initiatives for business gain.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Basic Minimum Requirements
- 10+ years experience in the clinical laboratory setting with a strong focus on Microbiology testing including BioBurden, VDmax, and Sterility testing.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, and techniques used in laboratory work
- Considerable knowledge of the use of laboratory apparatus and equipment with the ability to aid in trouble shooting of technical problems
- Excellent and effective written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional cross-functional team leadership skills and ability to work in close collaboration with others
- Strong organizational and planning skills as well as strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, adapt to change and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to problem-solve and make decisions on complex issues, often in a cross-functional team setting
- Strong skill in the Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of electronic publishing/file management
- Knowledge of federal, state and local standards, regulations, guidelines and requirements effecting operations of a clinical reference laboratory
- Bachelor of Science degree required
- Ph.D. or Master of Science preferred
- Must meet CLIA requirements for a laboratory Supervisor in a high-complexity laboratory
- Must meet minimum requirements for supervisor/technical supervisor for CLIA and all applicable state/regulatory agencies, including NY and CA
- Working understanding of United States Pharmacopoeia.
Position is full time, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with overtime as needed. Candidates currently living within a commutable distance of Centennial, Colorado are encouraged to apply.
To learn more about Eurofins, please explore our website
- Compensation Range: $100K - $125K
- Excellent full time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
Please be aware that this role will require access to a site that requires COVID-19 vaccination or exemption from vaccination requirements. Prior to starting work in this position, employees must show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination or exemption from vaccination requirements . Exemptions will be granted as warranted by medical contraindications, disability or sincerely held religious beliefs. Eurofins is a M/F, Disabled, and Veteran Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.